What do you wear when it's raining?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Russell160

What do you wear when it's raining?

Post by Russell160 »

Got soaked while out riding today. I was wearing waterproof jacket which was ok but problem was waist down: cheap cycle shorts and bare legs, seal skins socks and Shimano spd shoes. The shorts just got soaked right through. My feet also got wet, which I figure was from water running down the inside of the seal skin. I don't want to not cycle because it looks lilke rain, so what's the solution?
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

bite the bullet! lol

i wear as little as possible if i know its gonna rain! the less there is to get wet then!

its easy to slip off lycra shorts and put some dry shorts on
i keep a spare set of shoes at work...in case my trainers get soaked on the way to

top half...i wear i waterproof jacket if its really hammering it down!!!
otherwise il just bite the bullet and get a little damp
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think a lot depends on how warm it is and how far you intend to go.

For a relatively short distance, it hardly matters getting wet, especially if it is warm weather. Apart from anything else, by the time you've got togged up it's usually stopped raining. Shorts mean quicker drying. Modern polyamide tights such as Lusso 'Repel' dry remakably quickly as soon as it stops raining. They are uncannily effective. I have some Marks and Spencer polyamide 'travel trousers' which are also very quick drying.

Riding for any distance cold and soaking wet is unpleasant and must be bad for you. You need a t least a decent jacket to keep your body warm and unless you want knee trouble, your legs want keeping warm as well.

After a lifetime of being a poverty-stricken cyclist, I achieved relative affluence in middle age. I have been well-pleased with Goretex. I have a pair of trawlerman style overtrousers for wearing over ordinary togs and a pair of Chapak stretch Goretex overtrousers from Mike Dyason for more streamlined moments.. These are brilliant but not easy to fit during a ride.

I have some stretch Goretex oversox.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If it's wet, and as wet as anything, it doesn't matter what you wear. You'll get wet!! But the trouble is, if it's wet you can get cold too.

I was out last Tuesday, and got absolutely soaked. Straight through my Goretex top. Feet and tights drenched too.

But the weather had an easterly wind. And it was COLD. I arrived home shivering with cold - out much longer, and I may have bordered on the hypothermic. This was late April don't forget. Had it been December/January, I'd have dressed accordingly.........but April?

Basically, what I'm saying, is that you can caught out.
Mick F. Cornwall
mrsbloomsburybarton

Post by mrsbloomsburybarton »

As I've hit middle age, I've found that my feet are usually the first things to get cold, even if it's not raining but once it's rained, there's no chance. I have a fairly low priced pair of overshoes but as has been mentioned, if it rains my feet get wet eventually. I had a look at some cycle clothing sites the other day and saw some water proof socks for around £15. Has naybody tried these?
...to help all, especially young people of limited means, to a greater knowledge, love and care of the countryside, particularly by providing parking spaces for their 4x4s!!
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Endura Stealth Jacket, Goretex trousers and Endura overshoes.

Pain to put all that gear on, but for a long commute you need to be comfortable.
mikeitup

wet!

Post by mikeitup »

DHB Longs, Ronhills (with nice new waterproofing on em), Endura Gridlock jacket, PRO H20 Overshoes, DHB Waterproof Gloves and Specialized Skullcap.
Speshact

Post by Speshact »

rainlegs:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 5360021879

See the '2nd question of the day' thread in the Tea Shop - I eventually went with the rainlegs suggestion and am well pleased.
mrsbloomsburybarton

Post by mrsbloomsburybarton »

I bet those are easier to put on than rain trousers too! It made me laugh though when it mentioned rowing. I used to row and would have looked a right Jessie in a pair of those! Rain doesn't matter when you're rowing as you're warm anyway.
...to help all, especially young people of limited means, to a greater knowledge, love and care of the countryside, particularly by providing parking spaces for their 4x4s!!
yoyo

Post by yoyo »

I have a waterproof cape to complete the sit up an beg look on my Dutch tourer!! I use the cape in the summer.

In colder weather, I have a trespass ski jacket three in one that hs been excellent throughout the winter. I tried on an Altura jacket and realised that I didn't need anything more than I already had. I use waterproof trousers that I bought in REgatta. They keep out the rain and the wind. My feet just get as wet as they are going to.
vernon

Re: What do you wear when it's raining?

Post by vernon »

Russell160 wrote:Got soaked while out riding today. I was wearing waterproof jacket which was ok but problem was waist down: cheap cycle shorts and bare legs, seal skins socks and Shimano spd shoes. The shorts just got soaked right through. My feet also got wet, which I figure was from water running down the inside of the seal skin. I don't want to not cycle because it looks lilke rain, so what's the solution?

I use an altuira Nevis Jacket for waterproofing the upper half. The rest just gets wet. I don't suffer much from the cold so I manage.
when the lower half gets damp.
glueman

Post by glueman »

If dryness is everything go old school. A so'wester, cape and spats with guards and a proper mudflap will keep everything dry so long as you don't ride fast enough to get sweaty. Also, you'll look like the ghost of a long dead trawlerman drifting along.
dbrunner

Post by dbrunner »

I've commuted 30 miles a day nearly every day over the winter come rain or shine (I chicken out if its icy).

I wear lycra shorts, top and leggings (if cold), thin cotton socks and Shimano spd road shoes. Neoprene overshoes if its raining and a light windproof top, lined if really cold, plain otherwise oh, and full gloves or mitts. If it gets much warmer I can dispense with the top too..

You will sweat and I have yet to find a windproof top that will wick away the moisture from a hard 50-60 minute ride, so you will get wet from the inside anyway.

I have a backpack with a clean shirt and underclothes, and keep a pair of trousers, shoes and tie at college to change into after a 10 minute cool down and, what is probably the best cup of tea of the day.

Kids are used to seeing me, especially those I pass! :-) and my co-workers giver me the usual ribbing, but no-one thinks anything of it now.

The more you wear, the more you will feel wet.. we have had some days where I've been dryer after 15 minutes than some who came in by car and got soaked on the walk from the car-park!

Dave
DavidT

Wet weather

Post by DavidT »

For my leisure riding. I wear an Altura jacket, which has been pretty good over the years at keeping out deluges.

Bottom half. Subject to weather - Ron Hill tracksters, alledgedly with some water resist coating, but frankly they get wet. Fine. Hardly any water absorption, and dry in a flash - so I prefer to get wet than faff with leggins etc. (Although I'm keeping an eye on the Rainlegs thread.)

If wearing shorts, lycra dries even quicker, so just get wet.

Given up on overshoes, especially since transfering to SPD. Currently trialling Seal Skinz socks following some recommendations on this site.
noonoosdad

Post by noonoosdad »

:shock: It really depends om how hard it is raining. If say it is a very light shower I would just wear my Altura Night Vision Jacket but if it was reasonable heavy and persistent, I wear my Polaris Overtrousers and Overshoes also. I find these trousers are really light and vented so that things don't get too humid inside.
I've also got a bright yellow helmet cover that stops one's bonce getting drowned. If it's cold, I wear a pair of waterproof skiing gloves, only because my wife bought them for a Christmas present and I would have preferred the Altura waterproof gloves.
In the words of Jacques Cousteau," Il est tout mon cul et Betty Grable !"