Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
roubaixtuesday

Re: Cycle Travel Question

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 8 Mar 2024, 12:25pm The "Night" option is for routes that are likely to be safer at night, which is mostly public roads and cycleways directly alongside them. It tries not to choose routes across parks and towpaths, for example. It's mostly geared towards city cycling rather than rural.
Thanks!
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

richardfm wrote: 8 Mar 2024, 12:02pm Here's an exert from this month's supporter newletter
"You can now ask cycle.travel to plan a route entirely on signposted cycle routes.
If you’re taking a holiday on (say) a EuroVelo route, the UK’s National Cycle Network, or one of France’s national Véloroutes, this makes planning much quicker. No need to drag the route back and forth because cycle.travel wants to send you another way – it can now stick to signposted routes alone.
For example, planning a trip on Lon Las Cymru is now two clicks: one in Cardiff, one in Holyhead. France’s Veloscenic route is one click at Mont St Michel, another in Paris. Or you could try a cross-Europe route taking in several different routes – how about Rostock to Rome?
How it works
Just choose the new "Routes" option"
This is rather excellent! As someone who likes to follow signs out there on the road rather than keep watching a screen, planning a path along signposted routes was something that kept me going back to bikerouter.de, so I'm very pleased that cycle.travel does this now too.

I've had a quick look, and notice that cycle.travel does better than bikerouter.de at sticking to long distance routes rather than following the nearest signed route to the path the algorithm would have otherwise suggested, thus avoiding stitching together a series of minor routes. As a sign watcher, it's obviously easier for me to follow one sign for several hundred km than remember five or six different signs and where to stop following one and change to another.

I'm impressed! Thank you Richard!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I’ve now had a look at my newsletter update and I’m a bit over thrilled about your changes to the elevation counts. That really is excellent and has had quite an impact on my next planned trip in terms of the cumulative climbing that it’s now showing (less). Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_1793.jpeg
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

That's a welcome addition to an already brilliant planning App.
I will use it but just looking at my planned ride from home to St Malo using the new option adds 87 miles. Using 'any' the distance is 180 miles and using 'routes' it is 267.
Obviously you'll have to see how this fits in with your preferences and I will use it. Richard has pointed out you can adapt the route when it doesn't suit by dragging the line so you're not forced to use it.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Question about different behaviour between app and web version: I made a route recently, on which I placed a marker. I did this on my laptop. When I open the route on the app, the marker is not there (but everything else is). I thought it might just be my phone, but if I open the route using my phone's web browser, the marker is there. So I experimented with adding a marker directly to the route in the app, and found there was no such option. It's a very small deal and I'm sure there's a good reason for it, but curious as to why.

Incidentally, I hadn't noticed the marker option before; I'll now be thinking up excuses to use it!
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

It's just that I haven't had time to add the marker functionality to the app yet! It'll be in the next release.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Thank you. Looking forward to it!
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

I am just planning a wee tour of the King Alfred's Way using Cycle Travel, which works fine. I have booked some overnight accommodation off the route.
Is there a way of adding these to the route so that it takes you there and back to the same point on the overall route without the software altering the whole route?
Or do I need to do little extra routes?

Thanks
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

VinceLedge wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 10:19am I am just planning a wee tour of the King Alfred's Way using Cycle Travel, which works fine. I have booked some overnight accommodation off the route.
Is there a way of adding these to the route so that it takes you there and back to the same point on the overall route without the software altering the whole route?
Or do I need to do little extra routes?

Thanks
You should be able to add a via point to the route and then drag it to your accommodation. If you want to leave and rejoin the route at the same point you may need to add more via points, one before the accommodation and one after.
Richard M
Cardiff
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

OK will have a go at that, thanks
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Given many cyclists like of Premier Inns, is there sone way of getting their hotel locations into cycle.travel. Some osm seems to have it as text on the map.

It seems strange for Premier Inn to restrict such info, if they do: potential customers need to find you to become actual customers... :)
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

I just asked cycle.travel (using Edge on an Android phone) for a route from Lancaster to Grange-Over-Sands but it told me that it can't plot a route over the sea
This was from the home page. If I try it from https://cycle.travel/map it works

Edit
Grange-Over-Sands to Lancaster works from the home page
Richard M
Cardiff
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

richardfm wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 6:39pm I just asked cycle.travel (using Edge on an Android phone) for a route from Lancaster to Grange-Over-Sands but it told me that it can't plot a route over the sea
When I did this, I used the train (from Arnside) to cross Morecambe Bay. (I did the rest of the trip on roads chosen by cycle.travel)

Of course you must stop for refreshments at Carnforth station.

Highly recommend both!
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

richardfm wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 6:39pm I just asked cycle.travel (using Edge on an Android phone) for a route from Lancaster to Grange-Over-Sands but it told me that it can't plot a route over the sea
Just to check - are you sure that you're selecting "Lancaster, Lancashire" from the autocomplete, and not "Lancaster, Pennsylvania"? cycle.travel might not know what country your IP address is in, and if it doesn't, it might put the American one at the top of the list.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 4:05pm
Just to check - are you sure that you're selecting "Lancaster, Lancashire" from the autocomplete, and not "Lancaster, Pennsylvania"? cycle.travel might not know what country your IP address is in, and if it doesn't, it might put the American one at the top of the list.
I'm pretty sure I wasn't. Lancaster PA is the third option, after Lancaster, Lancs and Lancaster Gate, but it is working today.
I wonder if, because I was in a different place yesterday I had a different IP address and the order was different, without me noticing.
Richard M
Cardiff