Normandy Beaches

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Reefman

Normandy Beaches

Post by Reefman »

My Friend his 15 year old son and I are going to hop across the Channel to visit the D'Day Beaches we will land at Cherbourg and cycle towards Caen where we will board the fastcat home.
Has anyone done this ?
If so could you please recommend B&B accomodation in France.
Thanks
Matt
rickangus

Post by rickangus »

I did exactly this a couple of years ago for a short break.

I caught the Portsmouth - Cherbourg ferry arriving I think about 14.30-ish. I rode to Barfleur and had an onion omelette followed by the most wonderful Normandy apple pie with creme anglaise (feeling hungry just thinking about it again!) in a cafe overlooking the little harbour. Then I moved on and stayed the night in St Vaast in an hotel overlooking the marina. Seem to recall it was painted cream and maroon and had a lot of flowers or windowboxes.

Next day I followed the coast alongside Utah beach. There is a little road literally right next to the beach. At the end of that road is a museum which was just the right size - takes about 1 or 1 1/2 hours to look around. After that you are forced to turn inland. If you look at a map you can see from the coastline why that's necessary.

At Osmanville I should have gone back Grandcamp-Maisy and continued along the coast and the D-day beaches but I wanted to get to Bayeux. If you're staying in hotes or chambres d'hotes you're spoilt for choice in that area. I stayed in a place very near the museum housing the tapestry. If you haven't seen the tapestry it really is worth the visit but make sure you get a handset with a recorded (English) commentary explaining the different scenes.

From Bayeux it was an easy ride up to Arromanches for the cemetries, more museums and the ride into Ouistreham and home.

Enjoy...
ThomasDylan

Post by ThomasDylan »

I've done the trip twice, though I was camping.

Without a map handy I can't name the place, but where the Cotentin penninsula ends and you turn east, the only way round according to my map, was via a very busy stretch of road. It's only for a couple of miles - and downhill at that - but it's not fun, especially after the peace of the Cotentin roads.

If you can time it, try to avoid the D-Day commemoration period. Things get much busier then and accommodation harder to find and dearer. I went just after both times and was struck by the number of US flags all around. Particularly St Marie d'Eglise - understandably. The first few episodes of Band of Brothers will give some scope of the horror - to put things into perspective.

The final part of your journey will end in Caen, you say, but I'm sure you're aware that the ferry goes from Ouistrehamn, which is not a stone's throw from Caen. On the ride between the two, you'll pass by the site of the bridge made famous by the D-Day landings.

The whole ride is steeped in WW2 history. Highly recommended. A stop over in Arromanches is definitely worth it. The Mulberry barges are still there and the town itself is small, but pleasant.

If you take a tipple, the cider and calvados are worth trying too.

I will do the ride a third time one of these days.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I can agree about the WW2 history being everywhere.

I rode out from Caen when I was there in the RN in the late 80s. I only was away for the day - Arromanches and then to Bayeaux for the tapestry.

The following day I rode a way inland, another good day out. I can't offer any advice or directions, other than all I had was a tourist leaflet/map! I still found my way ok.

Speaking and understanding the lingo was my only problem!
Mick F. Cornwall
Reefman

Post by Reefman »

Thankyou your replies,We have our date booked in Mid April.
I am very much looking forward to the trip.
Please keep any suggestions for places to see accomodation etc rolling in.

Matt
Penfold
Location: Black Country in the heart of England (Gods country)

Post by Penfold »

Reefman,

Please,please, leave a good couple of days at your 'Caen' end of the trip, there is so much to see around Ouisterham 8)

If you have never been may I suggest a couple of stops.

1. Pegasus bridge.....Visit both the cafe and the museum over the road. Wait until the ex-RAF guy does the talk over the big area map...very very informative.

2. The Merville battery, a fantastic German gun battery that was attacked to prevent the guns firing onto the landing beaches.

3. Le Grand Bunker. A superb museum with a fantastic view over 'Sword' beach.

4. Ranville. A small village just outside Ouisterham, visit the churchyard
where you will find the grave of Lt Den Brotheridge, sadly the first man killed during the famous pegasus bridge raid.

If you are a seasoned WW2 visitor you will already know of these places but if not go for it and have a great trip.
I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything,
I still believe that people are really good at heart.
- Anne Frank

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England.
- Winston Churchill
Reefman

Post by Reefman »

Hi Penfold,
Thankyou very much for the information,If I don't get to see everything this time round It is easy for me to return as I only live 13 miles from Portsmouth.I recieved the french version of an O/S map today through the post.This area looks fantastic to explore so I can forsee a few more trips in the future.
Regards
Reefman.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Penfold wrote:4. Ranville. .

If you get to Ranville, have a quiet word with them about flags :cry: :cry: :cry:
Penfold

Post by Penfold »

Ron wrote:
Penfold wrote:4. Ranville. .

If you get to Ranville, have a quiet word with them about flags :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ron,

Sorry mate that reference to flags is lost on me. What's that about?

I've been many times and they have always been very nice people there.
- Anne Frank

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England.
- Winston Churchill
Reefman

Post by Reefman »

I must admit I'm a little confused also.But too polite to comment after all the useful tips given too me.
Reefman
Ron

Post by Ron »

Penfold wrote:Sorry mate that reference to flags is lost on me. What's that about?

In the photograph of the grave at Ranville, all three Union flags are upside down. :( :( :(
Penfold

Post by Penfold »

Ron,

Never even noticed. :oops:

Perhaps 'we' must forgive the French that lapse in the correct way to display the union flag :roll:

At least the Gondree family (from the cafe) still attend the grave to pay their respects (and pay for its upkeep too)

Dont let flag cock ups make you miss Ranville.....The Tabac also serves some great beers :wink:
- Anne Frank

- Winston Churchill
Reefman

Post by Reefman »

Just got back from the Normandy trip . it was fantastic,Even though the prevailing winds were in our face (20mph) which made it hard work.We found the French very polite and hospitable.Three of us stayed in a gite for 55 Euro's inc breakfast.
We are planning a return trip in September but will concentrate on Caen /Bayeux and return along the coast to Caen taking more time for the museums etc.Image
rickangus

Post by rickangus »

It's nice to get an update and am pleased you enjoyed it despite the headwind. Does it ever blow from behind?

Actually, on reflection I think I had a tailwind away from Cherbourg but it didn't so much blow me along (although I suppose it must have done) as there simply being an absence of a breeze on my face as I travelled.