One pannier cyclists

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Lawrie9

One pannier cyclists

Post by Lawrie9 »

Is it just me that finds people cycling with one pannier irritating? Do they have to cycle a bit lop sided to counter balance the weight and are they saving up for the other one.
glueman

Re: One pannier cyclists

Post by glueman »

Lawrie9 wrote:Is it just me that finds people cycling with one pannier irritating? Do they have to cycle a bit lop sided to counter balance the weight and are they saving up for the other one.

Unless it's fully loaded one pannier makes little difference to the handling, the weight is low down and near the centre. Bikes come with racks and you can detach one pannier when it's parked up to go shopping.

I agree the aesthetics are weird. For truly strange handling I can recommend a Carradice Camper longflap saddlebag with a term's worth of serious academic books on a lightweight road bike. Demonic possession in all but name.
julk

Post by julk »

I find one rear pannier loaded handles much the same as using a rack pack.

However just one front pannier loaded does send me round the bend.

Four panniers loaded makes for a very stable ride.
Mythical

Post by Mythical »

I've been known to ride with one pannier fully loaded before now. The bike doesn't feel lobsided, and I don't feel like I'm compensating for it at all.

It did look a bit odd, though...but then, it was mostly on the battle cruiser - that whole bike looks odd!

Wouldn't like to try riding with one front pannier, though.
If i had one pannier on nowadays, it probably would be because I was saving up to buy the other one! (I'm still saving up to replace even one!)

I was riding along with one pannier once, and had an 'un-clipless' moment, and some roadie suggested I'd fell off because there was too much weight on one side of the bike. I felt too silly to tell him that the problem was actually too much untied shoelace flying around my cranks combined with a back pedal brake!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/misfit-cyclist - The photos are rubbish but the memories are good. :)
stoobs

Post by stoobs »

Irritating? It gets me angrier that that bloke on BBC last night in the Jeep was. :x

In my car, I mow them down, just like they deserve, and on my bike, I give them the verbals and push them off. As a pedestrian, I step out in front of them, and then tell them how their ludicrous centre of gravity affects their handling. I mean, they deserve it, dont, they? :wink:

I'm just off to take my Prozac 8)
horizon

Post by horizon »

Lawrie9 wrote:Is it just me that finds people cycling with one pannier irritating? Do they have to cycle a bit lop sided to counter balance the weight and are they saving up for the other one.

Although I do actually cycle frequently with just one rear pannier, I find people carrying one rucksack or just one laptop or one shopping bag or suitcase or just one brief case very irritating. Women with just one handbag are major source of annoyance as well, as are people with only one wristwatch, a single mobile phone to their ear, one wedding ring or a monocle. Telescopes are out for me as are suit jackets with one breast pocket and people with side partings. Medals worn on one side are a provocation to say the least. I have one friend with a beauty spot on one side of her face and not the other while another person I know gets by with a single walking stick. I particularly dislike houses with a garage at one side and, dare I say it, those parts of a man's anatomy that never hang level. Such an unbalanced world.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Jamesy

Post by Jamesy »

There are far more serious matters to get irritated about than this.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". Robert G. Ingersoll
stoobs

Post by stoobs »

horizon wrote:

Although I do actually cycle frequently with just one rear pannier, I find people carrying one rucksack or just one laptop or one shopping bag or suitcase or just one brief case very irritating. Women with just one handbag are major source of annoyance as well, as are people with only one wristwatch, a single mobile phone to their ear, one wedding ring or a monocle. Telescopes are out for me as are suit jackets with one breast pocket and people with side partings. Medals worn on one side are a provocation to say the least. I have one friend with a beauty spot on one side of her face and not the other while another person I know gets by with a single walking stick. I particularly dislike houses with a garage at one side and, dare I say it, those parts of a man's anatomy that never hang level. Such an unbalanced world.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! :twisted:

I HATE assymetry, too! And not just the lack of wealth and status that it implies!

What IS the CTC going to do? Surely this should be on Campaigning and Public Policy, for Pete's sake?
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Lawrie9 wrote: Do they have to cycle a bit lop sided to counter balance the weight .

every time you cycle, you're compensating for the camber in the road without even noticing it, so yes, but subconsciously
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote:

And what about those annoying cyclists that tuck just one pants leg in their sock!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
Or unicyclists!!!!!!!!!
Mythical

Post by Mythical »

Unicyclists aren't so bad. At least they can be symmetrical from the front/back!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/misfit-cyclist - The photos are rubbish but the memories are good. :)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Why aren't Unicyclists called Monocyclists?
And why aren't single panniered cyclists called Monopanniercyclists?

It drives me mad!
(Been to the dentists today, lost filling, toothache ...... )
Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

I'd like to enter a plea of guilty to several of the offences listed above but primarily:-

Cycling with just one pannier. I have four but rarely need to carry more than will fit in one.

Tucking just one trouser leg into my sock (drive side), although only while cycling.

Could I also ask for the offence of cycling with odd panniers (one front and one rear both on the back) to be taken into consideration.

I await judgement.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Kirst

Post by Kirst »

I cycled 10 miles today with one rear pannier and it was stuffed to bursting. My trip included steep hills, cobbles and doing corners. I hope I annoyed everyone I went past.
I can handle bars and cycle paths but I can't handle cars and psychopaths

http://action.hopenothate.org.uk/page/s/notinmyname
minkie

Post by minkie »

You're right Lawrie - it's against the natural order of things.
I didn't spot the fundamental wrongness of it until too late.
I used one pannier on the right hand side and my left leg muscle has over-developed to compensate.
Now I walk lopsided, leaning to the right.
I'm OK when on the bike using the pannier, but when I take it off the bike leans over dangerously.

Totally donald ducked......if only I'd realised in time...........