20spd

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Si

20spd

Post by Si »

I've always used either a single chain ring (with single sprocket) or a triple (with a load of sprockets) on MTBs. Looking at getting a new MTB....but it only comes in 2x10. Any thoughts on how much of a compromise this is - have you used a double on an MTB...how did you get on with it? Do you find that you are faffing around having to change the front all the time rather than making quicker changes to the rear?
manybikes

Re: 20spd

Post by manybikes »

Just finished a trip with someone who broke his frame and bought a new 20spd to continue. Said the range was good and stopped a lot of faffing about with three rings. No personal experience though!
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

My first MTB was 21 speed (3x7) and rode it with no problems.
So 20 speed isn't that much different. :roll:
Biggest difference must be like 50/34 compacts where, when changing from large ring to small, makes a very big jump in gearing.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Si

Post by Si »

thanks for the feed back.
Yeah, I'm not worried about the range - it's whether I'll be continually changing between big and little ring, rather than keeping it on the middle like I do now!
fxrextreme

Post by fxrextreme »

hi.i run a 24/36 crank and i stay on the 36 nearly all the time,like you would on a middle ring.i only change to the 24 when the going gets really steep!
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

You could look at the gears you most commonly use on your triple and then the usable gears on the mountain bike and work out whether you'd have to be changing regularly in normal riding. With wide range cassettes It probably isn't the issue it was with fewer sprockets and close ratios.
Si

Post by Si »

Since I first posted this a mate has flogged me a second hand frame at a killer price so I've just moved everything over from the old bike and am still with 3*9.

but thanks for all the info everyone......one day I'll have a new MTB move kicking and screaming into the world of 2*10, big wheels and disc brakes.