Any ideas?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Phil Fouracre

Any ideas?

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Thinking about making something like those reflectors on an arm that you could attach to your bike. Wondering what would be a reasonable length to expect drivers to avoid. Don't normally have a problem, but, been on main road/dual carriageway a couple of times and have had close passes with outside lane completely clear, mad. Thought I would make a drop down arm purely for main road, and flexible. Don't want to be confrontational, and perhaps use fluoro' with thanks for space written on it. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Stewart H

Re: Any ideas?

Post by Stewart H »

Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

well for one I don't think it'll give you any change with overtaking.
However if you were to make the arm long enough to give you the minimum passing distance that you require it'll probably work Thus if you think 3 feet from your right hand then you'll have to make it almost that width to have the desired effect IMHO...
An arm that slides out further made with 2 sections and a runner would work and slide back in when pulled upright.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I'd agree with the above, try something telescopic then you can experiment.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I always think if I can reach them, they're too close, so I guess that would mean about 3 1/2 foot from centre, but then maybe a little shorter assuming they're going to give your reflector a little space.
rjb

Post by rjb »

How about an extending aerial with a reflector or a small fluoro rubber ball at the end. If you have straight bars you mount it in the end and extend it at you wish. The ball doubles as a handlebar end plug :wink: On the tandem i use a cork in the rear barend with a piece of sticky reflective dayglo tape on it. It sticks out an inch extra but is very visible.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Or attach some empty seats so you're as wide as a car.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

The reason those arms have gone out of fashion is they made no difference or made it worse. It often became a target distance for passing rather than a minimum distance. To have the biggest chance of an effect you would probably need to tip it with something that looks very scary for a car's paintwork.
SteveHunter

Post by SteveHunter »

It could be my imagination but I'm sure drivers leave me more room on my Hybrid with wide panniers on the back than they do when on my road bike.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Thanks for replies guys, will think about it some more, perhaps try a few ideas. Was thinking of concealing something appropriate inside the apparently soft looking end, like a diamond tile cutter!!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Rusty garden rake?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

SteveHunter wrote:It could be my imagination but I'm sure drivers leave me more room on my Hybrid with wide panniers on the back than they do when on my road bike.
You may right, but it's difficult to tell for sure. However I always put a pannier on the offside if there's just one. I think it enlarges the rear profile of the bike, and maybe more so than an arm, but you can never see yourself so who knows?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Yeah, I do the same with pannier, and think it helps. The arm idea is really a trade off, ****** off response to a couple of stupid close passes versus happy 99 percent of the time to go with the flow of traffic. In some ways it might cause more problems than it cures, I actually enjoy riding and treat interaction with other traffic as I would normally when driving. Almost wonder if I would actually come across more as a 'silly' cyclist by having something like this, still debating. Perhaps a hand on the end of the arm with the second finger raised? And for added effect, Stanley knife blades for finger nails?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I appreciate that some of the Boadicea type suggestions are made in jest, but for anybody who's tempted to follow them up, remember s 3 of the Criminal Damage Act:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1971/48/section/3
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

thirdcrank wrote:I appreciate that some of the Boadicea type suggestions are made in jest, but for anybody who's tempted to follow them up, remember s 3 of the Criminal Damage Act:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1971/48/section/3

Can we use that against motorists?