Bike Security Locked At Supermarket Bike Rack

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
sirmy

Re: Bike Security Locked At Supermarket Bike Rack

Post by sirmy »

On a slightly related topic, what did people think of how easy it was to cut through those sold secure gold locks in this weeks cycle show. I'm not so smug now!
mjr

Post by mjr »

I'd seen that sort of attack on sold secure Goldilocks before, on YouTube and I think one of Carlton Reid's sites. If I remember correctly, the official test didn't use angle grinders or bottle jacks, so D locks often pass.

The main reason to buy one instead of what seems good to you is if your insurance requires it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Giles Pargiter

Post by Giles Pargiter »

Not sure why people are quite so coy about naming the shops where they have such difficulty locking their bikes safely and securely.

I also have similar difficulties here in Bangor. At Tesco's the bike racks are situated next to the ATM's out of sight of the doors, and according to their security staff not on CTV in an ideal place to be tampered with. Accordingly I lock the bike to the rails of the trolley park right outside the window. I prevent it being bashed by trolleys by locking a trolley to it as well if neccessary. The Curry's computer shop has a massive car park outside and even a sports gym next door with absolutely nothing to lock a bike to. Here I wheel the bike right in and lock it to a convenient computer display right round their own computer security wire if I can. The staff so far don't know what to do about this :) (they don't seem to have thought of having a cycle stand outside) . Morrisons has a similar problem to Tesco, so I lock the bike to the railings outside the door where the security can see it. At the Morrisons in Rhyl, I wheel the bike in and lock it to their flower stand opposite the tobacco counter - the staff could'nt care less, which seems to say it all really.

However Asda have a number of good cycle racks right outside the door.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I sometime wheel around the shop - makes a good point, ensures I can't get too much stuff and takes less room than a trolley. Obviously try to stay drive side...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I sometime wheel around the shop - makes a good point, ensures I can't get too much stuff and takes less room than a trolley. Obviously try to stay drive side...

I'll start looking out for the Image in the frozen peas aisle.

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Lakeland Cambridge no longer allow folded folding bikes to be wheeled around the shop. They do have larger shopping trollies which are allowed. Maybe next time I'll put the bike in a trolley. The (council-provided) parking outside that shop is woefully overcrowded.

Around King's Lynn, Sainsburys, Morrisons and the Tesco furthest from any cycleway are OK. Asda, Spar and the other three(?) Tescos have a mix of wheelbenders, racks sited too close to walls and all the usual nonsense. Morrisons did park their advert on a cycleway near a dangerous junction, though. https://twitter.com/mjray/status/407904 ... 00/photo/1
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Pandaz

Post by Pandaz »

I'd never leave a bike locked up anywhere overnight.

Its just crazy, you come back next day and half the parts will be missing!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

My Waitrose is terrible for places to lock bikes (hence my original post).

However, encouragingly, a new Morrisons has recently opened just down the road from it which has excellent bike lock facilities. Loads and loads of the bent tubes set in the ground across the front of the store, then a load more "overflow" ones down the side (not as good, but if the store is that busy then there will be plenty of people around. Encouraging that a new built store includes such facilities.

Ian
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Our local campaigning group (Chester Cycle Campaign) recently carried out a survey of all the local supermarkets. We looked at their parking for cycles & other cycle friendly aspects, (covered:type of parking stand:security cameras:near front of store/visibility:encouraging staff to ride etc.)
We recently presented the Morrison store in Saltney,on the Welsh side of Chester, with a framed Certificate to mark their achievement as being the best in the area. Some of the major stores were poor & our worst was Iceland in the town centre.
Hopefully,the publicity which accrued from the local press etc. will encourage the others to raise their standards!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Pandaz wrote:I'd never leave a bike locked up anywhere overnight.

Its just crazy, you come back next day and half the parts will be missing!

I've left mine locked at a station for 4 days, I was abroad - cycle to station, train to airport.

No problem. But I don't live in a major city...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

I've seen people carting their Brompton round the shop in one of the large trolleys....
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker