Air or sprung suspension?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
graymee

Air or sprung suspension?

Post by graymee »

Air forks and rear suspension units seem to be the way ahead but what are the advantages? If you had forks and rear sus units with the correct spring rating would they perform as well as air units? Ok, you can adjust the air spring rating to adjust for changes in the weight of you and/or your kit but what are the advantages/disadvantages?

I imaging springs are heavier but air will be costlier, what else?
I'm not old and cynical, I'm realistic!
Spoke

Re: Air or sprung suspension?

Post by Spoke »

graymee wrote:Air forks and rear suspension units seem to be the way ahead but what are the advantages? If you had forks and rear sus units with the correct spring rating would they perform as well as air units? Ok, you can adjust the air spring rating to adjust for changes in the weight of you and/or your kit but what are the advantages/disadvantages?

I imaging springs are heavier but air will be costlier, what else?

But can you find good quality XC coil spring forks and rear shocks any more?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

graymee wrote:Air forks and rear suspension units seem to be the way ahead... what else?

not air...
not air...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Coil/oil shocks are better at dealing with little bumps, air is better for big hits.
You need tighter seals with air units so the air doesn't leak out but this can lead to 'sticky' travel.
If a leak develops with an air unit, you can be left without suspension. If a coil/oil unit leaks, you still have suspension but might not have any damping and you'll be pogo sticking all over the place.
This is what I remember from my days as a mountain biker anyway, a while ago.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

Isn't the main advantage weight or rather lack of it?
I think in the early days air shocks were more primitive than they are now. Coil/oil shocks were generally a bit plusher and more reliable than air back then.
Pandaz

Post by Pandaz »

I use coil oil on all ny off road bikes, its by far and away the most comfortable and plush!