Stefan Abrutat's Tour Travel Blog

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mercalia

Stefan Abrutat's Tour Travel Blog

Post by mercalia »

Just a reminder one of our own on his own tour for last few months

http://sabrutat.blogspot.co.uk/
sabrutat

Re: Stefan Abrutat's Tour Travel Blog

Post by sabrutat »

Thanks man!

Currently in North Wales, though the blog is still in the middle of Scotland. I'm a writer for a living, so blogging unfortunately has to play second fiddle to my paying work.

So far the BOB knockoff trailer has been working great. The improvised rear skewer you came up with has been trouble free. I chucked the bag that came with it and went with a 65l waterproof Gelert Expedition http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelert-Expedition-Cargo-Bag-Black/dp/B002BO0XV4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404423006&sr=8-1&keywords=gelert+expedition+65l+cargo+bag and a set of RCP rear waterproof panniers http://www.amazon.co.uk/RCP-WP100-carrier-bags-Colour/dp/B002RLFCEY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1404423148&sr=8-3&keywords=red+waterproof+panniers. More than enough space for everything I want. The trailer bag is a little too long to fit in the trailer, but I keep my sleeping bag and roll mat underneath it at the back of the trailer so the bag sits at a slight forward sloping angle, lending the rig a wolfish, aerodynamic appearance belying the goofball riding it.

I'll post a pic when I get one online.

Cheers

Stef
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

Here's a picture I took on the seafront at Hornsea.

I'm currently limping across southern England with a dying bottom bracket, looking to get it fixed in the next day or two, though. Wales was amazing, especially Snowdonia in the sun. Breathtaking.

mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Those are some nice pictures and places you have visited. Wish I was there. I havent been able to get away this summer yet. Its good to know that those cheapo trailers can do the works and that the home made skewer is doing its job. I was fearful that the rod may break as it is not as strong as the originals. I was able to bend the ones I bought even though they were suposed to be hi tensile steel. They are also of course not as thick as original skewers as they are threaded all the way along. Any way good luck with the rest of your journey and I hope u get your BB fixed.
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

That looks cracking, I was in North Wales earlier in the week with my trailer (same one).

Dave
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

I think if you keep the skewers nice and tight you don't have to worry about them bending. I flattened both sides of the skewer barrels with an angle grinder so they'd receive a spanner, and check them every morning before setting off. Have had zero problems with the trailer so far. The cheapo tyre doesn't seem to be wearing as fast as the one I used through Scotland, probably because I'm carrying a little less weight, but I've got a spare ready to go in any case.

Just going to read your thread now, Dave.
OnYourRight

Post by OnYourRight »

Impressive scenery.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

maybe we need to form a cheapo trailer club/group here?
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

If we've got enough converts to start a group, I don't see why not.

Big news this morning: the trailer arm connecting pin sheered as I rode over a log leaving the forest I camped in: it broke in exactly the same spot as the last one did in Scotland. Difference is, this time I replaced it with one of the four spares I've made instead of jerry-rigging it with a couple of tent pegs and duct tape.

One in the eye for Loki!
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

Pics of the damage and repair. Looks like I need a new rear tyre, too.

mercalia

Post by mercalia »

So it broke at the bottom where the hook is? I was never very happy with that aspect, always seemed like a likely break point. I also see the top part seems to be bent also. I think screws top & bottom should be much stronger aslong as they dont undo? You used loctite to make sure of that? Its a shame that the trailer doesnt have an easy nameable source/maker, you could have got sponorship from them? ( or maybe they would want to keep very low profile...)
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

The top part bends when the bottom breaks and the trailer body drops.

I didn't use Loctite, but it's not necessary, as if the pin starts to loosen even a tiny bit it is immediately noticeable in the way the trailer sways. The replacement certainly 'feels' a lot stronger and tighter.

I never looked for sponsorship from anybody, frankly because I'm too lazy to expend the effort canvassing. If my blog keeps growing, however, and if the books make some waves (I'm collating the blogs to produce an ebook for each country), I imagine I might attract a few.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

if u have time maybe add these pictures of the broken trailer bits to the original trailer thread, as I think that thread has become a rather useful set of notes on these cheapo trailers their pitfalls, mods and troubles and should be pinned so it isnt lost?

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=77175
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

Could be an idea. Will post the pics on the other thread.