Quick poll: Your touring accomm - tent, hostel, hotel?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
tatanab

Re: Quick poll: Your touring accomm - tent, hostel, hotel?

Post by tatanab »

realcycling wrote:Ah - I forgot to say the article's about UK accommodation!

In which case please discount my input. I have not toured in this country in probably 40 years.
spicerack

Post by spicerack »

I only a spend few long-ish weekends per year touring in the UK, say 6 nights / year on average, doesn't sound like much but the longer tours tend to be abroad. Roughly 50% camp sites (including pub campsites), 10% wild camping and 40% B&Bs (when the weather is bad).
ikenbikeit

Post by ikenbikeit »

Always camping
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

10 days, B+B
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

We cross the pond from Canada every two or three years for about 6 weeks. Accommodation: 25% family and friends; 5% hostels; 5% hotels; 65% B&B with our first choice being on working farms and the rest in homes or village pubs as dictated by location and availability.

We used hostels a lot in our younger, less affluent, foot-slogging days. Nowadays, with our team age totalling 130 years, we seek more creature comforts, and safe storage for our tandem bicycle :wink: .
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

About 20 nights a year, all camping these days. Campsites by preference, but about 10-15% wild if there's nothing nearby.
Aushiker

Post by Aushiker »

In a normal year, I like to get 14 days in at least. I usually stay in a motel on the first night if I travel to the start and on the last night. Rest is in the tent preferably but really depends on the tour.

Andrew
whoof

Post by whoof »

Was just about to tell you about this years camping tour to France.
This year in the UK one week in Wales all B and Bs.
Last year one weekend Devon Coast to Coast 1st night hotel/pub second night YHA hostel.
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

UK wise - Usually 80+ nights a year (Less this year due to various reasons).

I'll always try and camp. Now and again I'll use a hostel, but find them too expensive for what they are. B+Bs/Motel type places are only ever used if I have no other option. Occasionally, I'll use a bothy - the problem being that the bothies you can cycle into are usually the ones that have been abused.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Last UK tour i did was a week with three nights camping and two B&B - my tours are usually in Europe so its rare for me to need more than a nights accomodation in the UK!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

In the UK, probably about 20 days a year. It breaks down to about 50/50 hostels and B&B. I may camp for an event such as SSUK but I'm with Napoleon on this - "A bad billet is always better than a good camp"!
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

On an average year I'll do 2 to 3 weeks camping. I always go down to the South-West to see friends and relatives for a week or so, so on that trip 3 to 6 nights are at the friends/rellies, and the rest camping. Otherwise it's camping all the way, it's part of the trip, I love being outdoors. Only exception being last year I rented a room in Bristol for 3 nights so I could see the city I normally cycle through on the way somewhere else.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

realcycling wrote:Ah - I forgot to say the article's about UK accommodation! Apologies...

Thanks

Rob Ainsley

Hi Rob, can you not edit the title of this posting then?

Thanks,
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

In the UK maybe 1-2 weeks and always camping on sites

This, in relation to camping in western Europe (other than UK/Eire) is only about a quarter of my total touring per annum - FYI
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

About 20+ nights a year camping.