Scotland Tour !

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
hondated

Scotland Tour !

Post by hondated »

I really do need to get my act together and finally get out on that first tour so I really do need some advice.

What my current idea is is to travel up to Fort William where one of our forum friends has agreed that I can park my vehicle and hopefully join me and my friend on the ride.
To summarise my plans I want to do it in September/ October and cycle over to Skye and if possible Island hop back to the top of Scotland and then return to FW.
My first question then is that possible !
The second question is would it be easier to do it the other way ie prevailing winds etc.
And the final one for now am I being realistic in trying to do this.
Oh yes and I want to camp wherever possible.
Once I have your views on this I will then research times dates and costs of ferries but I don't want to do that until I see what you have to say.

Thanks Ted
bogmyrtle

Re: Scotland Tour !

Post by bogmyrtle »

Yes
No
Yes
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Fort William to Oban Jon Snows favourite trip.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
hondated

Post by hondated »

Thanks for quickly responding.I will now set to and find out the answers to those other questions I need to address.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

I set off last May to do a tour from Fort William to Skye then up the west coast to Cape Wrath, Tongue and then back...but really bad weather and a non-improving 5-day forecast made me switch plans whilst in Portree. I was camping and had plans to camp everywhere so that is easily possible. Due to better weather on the east coast I went from Portree to Inverness and then followed the coastline round to Aberdeen, St Andrews, Edinburgh and then made my way back to N Manchester (where my car was parked at my parents).

Having done the Outer Hebrides on a previous occasion I know it is also possible to get there from Skye and there are plenty of campsites (or wild camping) and perhaps back to Ullapool then Fort William. Ferry price for a Scotch Hopper is very reasonable. September is a good time to go - there will still be a few midges around and the weather will hit and miss, but I prefer September (or May) for Scotland.

Whilst there are prevailing winds - I've had head winds or tail winds in all directions!
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Realistic? Definitely. I'm starting my first tour this Thursday morning. If I can do it anyone can so get planning.
Every last drop of advice you'll ever need is covered in this forum (admittedly it takes a while to find it all), the Travelling Two book and site and general tinterweb.
Dunno about prevailing wind direction. I have a 20 mile loop I like to ride regularly but every time I do it, I somehow have a headwind on both the outbound and return journeys. Go figure.
Good luck :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Thanks again everyone. And Vantage have a great time.Oh and I think my plans are now going to be easier as I have decided to grow a beard !
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

That made me crack up laughing as I'm currently in my 2nd month of owning a fairly bushy goatee and tash :mrgreen:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

hondated wrote:Thanks again everyone. And Vantage have a great time.Oh and I think my plans are now going to be easier as I have decided to grow a beard !

Ted , if you wear a skirt too, you'll fit right in!

Cheers

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......