Horse Riders

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
DavidT

Re: Horse Riders

Post by DavidT »

Flinders wrote: [
You were dead right. Horses can reverse 'under orders' with a rider on board, but only slowly and one step at a time. And it requires a bit of training, surprisingly enough. (It's called 'rein-back').
If a horse is going backwards at any speed, that's going to be the horse's decision not the rider's, and something is very wrong. You were very right to be cautious! :shock:

Thanks for the additional insight into the technicalities of this. Interesting. :D
skicat

Post by skicat »

Flinders wrote:Horses have to be exercised to keep fit, including at times when bridleways are too muddy and arenas are waterlogged.

Many of the larger stables have horse-walkers. Just a big round cage with an electrically driven harness in the centre that rotates slowly and makes the animal walk round and round. Looks like something you might see at a fairground. I could never figure out why you couldn't put a large bag of carrots 6 feet in front of the horse and link it up to a generator instead of a motor. That way you'd get energy out of it rather than having to put it in. :roll:
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Or a stick to prod them.
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

Postboxer wrote:Or a stick to prod them.

And when the juice runs clear... :mrgreen:
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

skicat wrote:
Flinders wrote:Horses have to be exercised to keep fit, including at times when bridleways are too muddy and arenas are waterlogged.

Many of the larger stables have horse-walkers. Just a big round cage with an electrically driven harness in the centre that rotates slowly and makes the animal walk round and round. Looks like something you might see at a fairground. I could never figure out why you couldn't put a large bag of carrots 6 feet in front of the horse and link it up to a generator instead of a motor. That way you'd get energy out of it rather than having to put it in. :roll:

:D
I see those horse walkers in action quite a bit, and the horses don't seem to mind being on them, but it must be a bit boring. I get exceedingly bored on a turbo- so much so that I just don't use it when I ought to and get unfit if the weather is bad. I must get around to working out a way of getting a book stand on the handlebars.....
:wink:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Flinders wrote:
skicat wrote:

:D
I see those horse walkers in action quite a bit, and the horses don't seem to mind being on them, but it must be a bit boring. I get exceedingly bored on a turbo- so much so that I just don't use it when I ought to and get unfit if the weather is bad. I must get around to working out a way of getting a book stand on the handlebars.....
:wink:

Audio book on a stereo off to the side (unless you like wearing headphones whilst riding...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.