Go Pro Camera

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
gandi

Go Pro Camera

Post by gandi »

Hello,
Has anybody managed to mount their camera under the bars as opposed to mounting on top so it's not as obvious to other road users ,and if so which mount did you buy.

Cheers,and thanks for looking.
snibgo

Re: Go Pro Camera

Post by snibgo »

I have used the "Handlebar / Seatpost / Pole Mount ".

http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/handleba ... pole-mount

Sample video (from an original HD Hero) at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWymGuzFQPE
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

K-Edge mounts come recommended, I've got a saddle rail clamp for my Garmin camera, used with an adapter that comes with the Garmin.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/k-edge-go-big-g ... o-version/

Although Wiggle power the CTC shop, I can't see the above on the CTC shop.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I don't know about the Go-Pro, but I have a Contour Roam which came with a rather sparse set of mount options. However, I have fixed up the following mounting on the stem, which could equally be inverted so that the camera is below the bars. A similar set-up could be used for bar mounting.
contour roam stem mounting.jpg

The tapering pillar fixed to the stem is the bottom part only of a Topeak Bar Extender which I've had for years but don't use any more. I had to drill out the holes slightly to take a 1/4" UNC bolt which screws straight into the tripod bush of the Contour. The nuts and washers on the bolt are for spacing.

Since the Contour can be rotated to any angle within its casing, it's always possible to get a horizontal image whatever the position.

The main difficulty was finding a 1/4" UNC (or BSW) bolt. Why the camera industry has stuck to non-metric thread sizes I'll never know (probably US influence). Anyway, don't try using a metric bolt - none of them will fit. And a lot of the DIY places now sell only metric nuts and bolts. I had to rummage through my father's old collection, which luckily I've kept... :wink:

One slight disadvantage is that I need to carry a screwdriver if I want to de-mount the camera. However, it's reasonably thief-proof in this set-up.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Graham

Post by Graham »

Sorry to digress a bit, but how much does the vibration of a fixed bike mount compare with a helmet mount ??
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Graham wrote:Sorry to digress a bit, but how much does the vibration of a fixed bike mount compare with a helmet mount ??

Generally much higher frequency vibration - but look up hyperlapse...

A new technique Microsoft have developed to look at "fun" action videos...
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/ ... yperlapse/
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Graham wrote:Sorry to digress a bit, but how much does the vibration of a fixed bike mount compare with a helmet mount ??

I've found it's not too bad. You can still hear speech (yours and others') over a low-pitched rumble, and the image, while not exactly cinematic quality, would probably serve for police evidence or the like. But a helmet or hat mount would be smoother.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Graham

Post by Graham »

Thanks for the responses. The bike-mounting info is crucial. I don't have the choice.
F70100

Post by F70100 »

Would it be possible to mount the camera upside down and rotate the video by 180 deg in the GoPro Studio editor ?
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

My saddle mount picks up all sorts of noises I'm not usually aware of and there is some vertical movement of the camera when I'm on the saddle and putting power through the pedals. The bar mount Go-Pro footage I've seen is pretty stable.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

F70100 wrote:Would it be possible to mount the camera upside down and rotate the video by 180 deg in the GoPro Studio editor ?

In my first post, the camera was upside down, and each frame inverted in an editor.

More recent GoPro cameras have that ability built-in.