[First tour] Lincoln to Edinburgh, solo, wildcamping

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
stu57

[First tour] Lincoln to Edinburgh, solo, wildcamping

Post by stu57 »

Howdy,

I'm planning my first multi-day trip, from my Sister's place in Lincoln back up to my home city of Edinburgh [~300 miles], in the last week of August.

I figured I'd just follow Sustrans R1 (since it will be signposted), and wildcamp along the way.

If anyone has relevant experience of why this is a terrible idea, please speak now! Otherwise any advice would be welcome :)
graymee

Re: [First tour] Lincoln to Edinburgh, solo, wildcamping

Post by graymee »

How far are you planning to cycle each day and have you cycled that far before? A distance you might ride in a day might not be sustainable over multiple days especially if carrying camping kit. Finding suitable spots to wild camp that are both at the required distance from your departure point and close to the route will be problematic in the 1st part of your journey if not all of it.

NCN 1 is signposted but how well is open to debate, a map of that section of the route might be advisable.
I'm not old and cynical, I'm realistic!
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I don’t know NCN1, but my experience of Sustrans routes is that they prioritise segregating you from traffic, even if that involves taking you through the back of the industrial estate, round the sewage works, along some fairly awkward tracks, and twice as far as you needed to go. Great for a Sunday afternoon pootle with the kids, but maybe not ideal for long distance riding. Sustrans say that NCN1 from Dover to Shetland is 1695 miles – wow, Dover to Thurso is only 708 miles by road. You might be wise to look at a few maps before setting off, and find where there are nice quiet backroads that are more direct.
stu57

Post by stu57 »

Guys - thanks for your responses.

graymee wrote:How far are you planning to cycle each day and have you cycled that far before? A distance you might ride in a day might not be sustainable over multiple days especially if carrying camping kit.

I've covered 100 miles in a day before on a unloaded bike a few times and felt okay. I am planning 5 days / 4 nights, so 60 mpd - though I'm not on a deadline.

graymee wrote:Finding suitable spots to wild camp that are both at the required distance from your departure point and close to the route will be problematic in the 1st part of your journey if not all of it.

This is a bit of a worry. Any advice?

graymee wrote:NCN 1 is signposted but how well is open to debate, a map of that section of the route might be advisable.

Likewise this, I think I will obtain a road atlas and/or relevant maps.

nirakaro wrote:I don’t know NCN1, but my experience of Sustrans routes is that they prioritise segregating you from traffic, even if that involves taking you through the back of the industrial estate, round the sewage works, along some fairly awkward tracks, and twice as far as you needed to go. Great for a Sunday afternoon pootle with the kids, but maybe not ideal for long distance riding. Sustrans say that NCN1 from Dover to Shetland is 1695 miles – wow, Dover to Thurso is only 708 miles by road. You might be wise to look at a few maps before setting off, and find where there are nice quiet backroads that are more direct.

This I'm okay with, 307 miles is the sustrans distance according to google maps, which is what I'm planning for. My worry with making up my own route is that it'd be far easier to get lost!
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

stu57 wrote:
This I'm okay with, 307 miles is the sustrans distance according to google maps, which is what I'm planning for. My worry with making up my own route is that it'd be far easier to get lost!

Have to admit I'd follow my own route, rather than sustrans. A quick google shows route 1 passing through some fairly post industrial areas of the north east (I.e. Durham coast, Wearside, Tyneside), none of which are areas I'd go out of my way to cycle in. In contrast heading inland, provides some superb cycling through the Vale of York, countryside to the west of Durham, Wearside and Tyneside (Though it's worth checking to ensure one isn't following a roller coaster of a route, up and down the dales!). Though I'd roughly follow the first part, Lincoln to Humber bridge and the Northumbrian, Scottish coastal stretch.

Given that I'm not a fan of organised cycle routes, I'm biased in stating that following one's own route can be easier than attempting to identify the "cycle route", my experience of following cycle routes, being an infuriating sensation of being slightly lost! I wouldn't anticipate major problems in camping wild throughout the route, as long as you're staying away from the urban areas at nightfall.
ipswichcycler

Post by ipswichcycler »

I've just cycled from Ipswich to Inverness and followed a lot of route 1 and 7. I passed through Lincoln and took that up to Whitby. The Scarborough to Whitby cinder path is excellent. I stayed on normal campsites which were usually less than 10 pounds sometimes as low as 5 pounds. They are handy as you can have a wash, recharge phone and can be a social event where you can meet others. Are you set on wild camping?

After Whitby I went in land to avoid large urban areas and went across top of north York moors to Hurworth then across the top of the dales to Kirkby Stephen before heading up to Scotland.
stu57

Post by stu57 »

Thanks again folks, you have given me much to think about!