Storing a bike for a week to travel home

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
randomblue

Storing a bike for a week to travel home

Post by randomblue »

Ok so I'm not travelling home but I've been invited on holiday with my family and since it's free to me I figure I might as well go! But this leaves me needing to find a place to leave my bike and bags for 5/6 days in Marseille. Has anyone taken a short trip sans bike during a tour and if so what arrangements did you make for bags and bike? I can look for a left luggage place for the bags and I guess just lock the bike up as normal but I don't feel like that's particularly safe! I'm also looking to see if a warmshowers host might be able to help but was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions? :)

Thanks in advance!
DaleFTW

Re: Storing a bike for a week to travel home

Post by DaleFTW »

Bike shop?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Local bike club.

They are likely to be sympathetic and have members who have safe storage.

Left luggage, eg at airport, may be expensive. A bike at Gatwick is £6 per day.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Having left a car for 2 weeks in Marseille I certainly would not leave a bike locked up somewhere for a few days....

Can you not take it on the side trip with you? Otherwise any of those other suggestions...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

simonhill wrote:Local bike club.....

And plenty to choose from. There are around 50 bike clubs listed in Déparment 13 Bouche du Rhône ie Marseilles and the surrounding area.

http://www.cyclisme-amateur.com/annuair ... rhone.html

Many of those are purely racing clubs, but I see that Vélo Club de Marseille covers everything - sport, touring and leisure.

http://veloclubmarseille.online.fr/index.php?page=club

If you do go to Marseilles, don't forget Cassis. Loosely translated they say "If you've seen Paris but not Cassis you've seen nothing."

Qu'a vist Paris, se noun a vist Cassis, pou dire: n'ai rèn vist
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

I just had to do this very thing as we had to return home mid tour from Vienna for a wedding.

I decided the easiest way would be to find a hotel with luggage storage and stay there before/after our trip to London and get them to look after our bikes and 2/3 of our luggage whilst away. I got the local tourist information office to help (my German is nowhere near good enough to ask for such things) - it took a bit of time but we found somewhere and our bikes and luggage was there when we got back.