Private 'toll road' - cyclists not welcome.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
661-Pete

Private 'toll road' - cyclists not welcome.

Post by 661-Pete »

This:
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/shor ... mentpage=1
(you need to watch the video to see the 'no cyclists' sign).

Anyone know the area? Do cyclists have an alternative? If not, should someone take it up with this bloke, in no uncertain terms?

I and my family were seriously inconvenienced by a lengthy road closure in our area, earlier this year, the only alternative for cyclists was a busy main road. At least no-one tried to set up a toll road alongside...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
beardy

Re: Private 'toll road' - cyclists not welcome.

Post by beardy »

On other reports it mentions that pedestrians and cyclists are still allowed to use the normal road (which is of course free :D :D ).

Not that many would be there in the first place as they would be using the Bristol-Bath cyclepath.

This is one of the few occasions where cyclists (and pedestrians) do seem to be far better catered for than the motorists! :shock:
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

He's trying to get thousands of drivers a day through his narrow 'farm track', I suspect the no cycling policy is born of necessity rather than malice.

Besides it's a private road and he can do what he likes so in that respect I don't see what the issue is.

(I did note he'd applied for retrospective planning, so if you're after a 'way in' then that may well be the best route).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

From the comments,. discussing the lack of speed limit due to the lack of surfacing - and the recommendation to do no more than 10mph (which IMHO makes it a great cycle route):
Is it even possible to drive 10 mph? I'm not counting backing out of one's driveway...

Me thinks someone needs to retake their driving test...

Of course it may be that the main road isn't so bad that the weight of cyclists is a concern...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Not definitive I know, but Google Maps marks the toll road (& routes you that way if you do directions by car) & marks the main road as a Cycle route ("Dirt/unpaved track" if you click on the "Bicycling" option & routes you that way in the cycle route option). (Link)

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

This reminds me I need to try to make a loop out of the Kelston road and the Railway path before they fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LVTqCnH-Bg

EDIT :- on second thoughts my bike is probably a bit too heavy for that.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

661-Pete wrote: should someone take it up with this bloke, in no uncertain terms?

I expect it's due to insurance or elfin stupidity or something. The private toll road at Porlock similarly says "no cycling", but they take no notice if you do.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

looks like a sinder track to me? bumpity bump bump bump lol.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

You'll never know if you don't try it.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I hope the £2 charge also included stop off for a cup of tea at the statley home?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mercalia wrote:I hope the £2 charge also included stop off for a cup of tea at the statley home?

I doubt it. Most 'stately' eateries, £2 won't even buy you a lump of sugar... :(
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

I've been using the A431 through Kelston whenever I get the chance since the landslip caused it to be closed at the beginning of this year. It was closed to motor vehicles immediately, then about a week later closed to all road users, but a few weeks later a footpath alternative was constructed in an adjacent field, about 400 yards long, which cyclists can also use, to by-pass the actual landslip. It is limestone dust path, but does involve carrying the bike up steps to reach it.

The section of the A431 around the area of the landslip does give fantastic views over the river Avon countryside and also up into the Cotswolds above, and the round trip along this and then back along the Bristol & Bath Railway Path has been a wonderful almost car-free run from Bath, which very few people seem to have cottoned onto. I haven't yet tried it since the toll road opened on Friday, but the A431 is a narrow twisty main road, so even just 500 cars a day will make it quite a bit less pleasant (though still worth taking for the views).

I wouldn't want to try to use the toll road, as it involves a steep climb into the field and from what I've seen is very rough and bumpy, far worse than the alternative temporary footpath.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Seems cyclists and pedestrians (and presumably horse riders) are covered then :) . Fair enough. It's a pity the article and video didn't mention the fact. And I wonder how this guy's 'retrospective planning application' would have been handled if it had been otherwise? Would he have been compelled to allow access to all road users, as a condition to being granted permission?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

661-Pete wrote:Seems cyclists and pedestrians (and presumably horse riders) are covered then :) . Fair enough. It's a pity the article and video didn't mention the fact. And I wonder how this guy's 'retrospective planning application' would have been handled if it had been otherwise? Would he have been compelled to allow access to all road users, as a condition to being granted permission?

What permission?

Dinham, who is speaking from Plymouth, because he also owns a haulage business, says: "As far as we are concerned, we have the council on our side.

Which is not actually true......
Apparently the Council have given neither approval nor permission...

" The council says only that it stands by its statement of 9 July, that it "will not encourage proposals that have not been proven to be safe or compliant with statutory requirements". It awaits imminent receipt of Watts's retrospective planning application but, in the meantime, the toll road is open for business.

This "road" could close log before December
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Surely it should be closed until permission is granted. I can't go and dump a temporary building on parliament square and start selling ice cream...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.