Nextbike Glasgow

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jughead

Nextbike Glasgow

Post by Jughead »

Really impressed with the quality of these bikes. An excellent alternative to taking my own bike on the train which is not popular during rush hour. The best thing, methinks the bus and taxi drivers have been warned to give PLENTY of space for these bikes. Not had one incident in the past week or. They don't want the bad press to be the first to run over a Weegie Wheeler! Is this the same elsewhere? Bath, London etc, I'm just loving this honeymoon period.
Flinders

Re: Nextbike Glasgow

Post by Flinders »

Glad it's working.
I find because of my size I can only ride my own bike, so if I couldn't get it on the train, that's it. :( I wonder if it takes the pressure off the argument for cycling provision on trains if there are hire bikes?
Jughead

Post by Jughead »

Good point about the trains. I think that's what the want us to do. Leave your bike at your local them get a hire bike at the other end. Absolutely no problem with this. It works so far because it's all new so there's plenty of rentals available on the other side.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Assuming this is what Chris Boardman was riding for his course guide earlier, the gears don't go low enough for the steep roads on the climbs, unless he was intentionally in a high gear for comedic value.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

No use if you are over six feet tall, the seatpost doesn't go high enough, might be ok for a few hundred metres but any further and it would be uncomfortable.
Went to hire a couple last week during the games and discovered this flaw as I'm 6'2", also one of the two bikes available had the chain off and couldn't see any easy way of putting it back on, not sure what hub gears they use but access to the sprocket wasn't good.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

rualexander wrote:not sure what hub gears they use but access to the sprocket wasn't good.

Weird, the one's in Liverpool are shaft drive and overall look to be very low maintenance. I'd assumed they were all like this.

(What I find good is most bus and taxi drivers seem pretty wary around them and take you for a noob. I get much more space on one of those than I get on my own bike).