Lesser known hazards for off-road cyclists

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Farawayvisions

Lesser known hazards for off-road cyclists

Post by Farawayvisions »

I enjoy mountain paths, forest trails and anywhere that has little or no traffic, however I have found that there are some hazards that I never considered before I took up cycling. You may have more to add. :wink: http://www.farawayvisions.com/biking-hazards/
Vantage

Re: Lesser known hazards for off-road cyclists

Post by Vantage »

The only hazards I've ever had/noticed while cycling anywhere were those mindless creatures in big steel things with 4 tyres on them. As long as you have full control of your bike, everything else is a breeze to be avoided or enjoyed.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Milfred Cubicle

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

I had an off once, on a seemingly innocent, straight trail. No bumps, roots or rocks to be seen. There was however, on its own in the middle of a forest, a single yellow Lego brick! Maybe I spotted it on a subconscious level, and crashed due to curiosity. Who knows..?
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

There was however, on its own in the middle of a forest, a single yellow Lego brick! Maybe I spotted it on a subconscious level, and crashed due to curiosity.

Very funny. :lol:
mjr

Post by mjr »

Milfred Cubicle wrote:, on its own in the middle of a forest, a single yellow Lego brick! Maybe I spotted it on a subconscious level, and crashed due to curiosity. Who knows..?

No, if it was that, you would have forgotten to hit the ground. (Apologies to Douglas Adams)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MickH

Post by MickH »

Let’s look at this from another perspective.

Birders and Photographers - have very likely spent several days or weekends scouting out the perfect location. The photographer may have driven many miles and waited for some time to capture that specific play of light on the water, while the birder may have responded to the call of the Lesser Spotted Titwort and spent half a day stalking his prey. Both men (used advisedly) could be just on the point of climax then ...along comes some great numpty on a bike sending all before him (again) diving for cover, crashing into the photographers beautifully set up frame and putting every feathered creature to flight.

Pheasants - have only been in the UK since Roman times so need time to acclimatise and adjust to the presence of cyclists.
Dogs, leashed and unleashed - give their owners much pleasure and, quite possibly, reduce the amount of domestic violence perpetrated by annoyed husbands whose team has just lost 0-3 to a bunch of dirty cheats ‘...and that bloody ref!’. Where would he be without a pit-bull cross to kick? I must say that this type of dog is unlikely to cause a cyclist much off road harm as it will be away worrying wildlife or sheep.

Children - You have a point.
Otters Crossing - Being a naturally shy creature the otter is likely to make itself scarce when it senses a cyclist roaring along the footpath scattering gravel, mud and ramblers in all directions.

Lovers - A tinkle of your bell could add atmosphere to the romantic idyll that these two are enjoying. They’ll step aside and wave you on your way with warm smiles. Always remember, without them where would any of us be?

Midges - have but brief lives. 30 days on the wing isn’t long to find your life’s love, settle down and have kids. It’s time to cut them some slack; maybe we should try to ride around or slalom though them?

Beautiful views - sorry , I misread this I thought it said beautiful wives.

Tea Shops - specifically with reference to the Lycra lobby. Do you know how long it takes to pack a beer gut into those leggings?
Si

Post by Si »

"Lovers"
I think that you've got off lightly. Twice now I've encountered nekkid lovers making out in the middle of the bridle way. I have to say, I just didn't know where to aim my knobblies.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Twice now I've encountered nekkid lovers making out in the middle of the bridle way. I have to say, I just didn't know where to aim my knobblies.

Lol, I thought I saw a couple fumbling in the long grass, so I stopped for a better look. :lol:

MickH, you know I'm having another giggle.
Barstaff

Post by Barstaff »

Tree roots the size of your leg at 30mph... Ouch!
Spoke

Post by Spoke »

Once I was shot in the eyes, point blank, with the camera flash.
I was blinded for a moment. Luckily I was going uphill, but what had possessed that stupid man to fire camera with flash into my eyes - who can tell.
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

Farawayvisions wrote:Birders and Photographers: Occasionally, they will have a companion who does not have a camera. This may be a girlfriend.

No.

:lol:
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
hamster

Post by hamster »

Over the years:
1 Forestry vehicle coming the other way with a loose snow chain 2m long flailing about - jumped into a ditch to shelter.
2 Rounded a corner and found two walkers both with long staffs tucked in the top of their backpacks...crosswise...and blocking the way
3 12 point Red deer stag standing in the middle of the track staring at me, having been surprised
4 A pair of red patent leather stilletto boots (without owner) by the side of the path... :shock:
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Bat. One once flew into me, hit me on the chest. Perhaps it was hard of hearing.
Princess Anne. A friend once encountered one of those on a highland track. Despite the firearms and scary-looking companions, it proved harmless and no impediment to proceeding.
Highland cattle. Rather scary coming across those.
Wash-out. Came across a bad wash-out on a track in NZ. A curious feature is that they tend to create their own raised banks. So as well as climbing over those, there was a very muddy trudge of a couple of hundred yards carrying the bike and luggage separately from one end to another.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

So many hazards. Who knew?
Fasgadh

Post by Fasgadh »

Idiots shooting a shotgun in the general direction of the Fife Coastal path. Even spent shot raining down through a tree stings.