Dog walkers or horseriders?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Ontherivet77

Re: Dog walkers or horseriders?

Post by Ontherivet77 »

I was under the impression that mountain bikes are for mountains, not the local tow path. Perhaps that's the best place for them :D
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Mountain bike is a marketing term. There's nothing that makes it unsuitable for use elsewhere. I preferred the old term ATB All Terrain Bicycle. They can be very versatile bikes and I bet most never see action in the mountains
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

Psamathe wrote:
MDC wrote:Who gets your vote for the most irritating?

Abstain ... because our countryside should be for everybody to enjoy and we need to be considerate to all users.

So often on this forum there are "anti-motor vehicles" posts blaming drivers for anything and everything. Now we are "blaming" dog walkers and "blaming" horse riders. It is sounding like cyclists want everybody else to just get off everything and everywhere and have everything turned over for the exclusive use of cyclists.

A disappointing question.

Ian

+1
I couldn't agree more with this sentiment.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

MichVanNic wrote:[
If you are approaching walkers etc why can't you slow down?

Why do you assume that I do not? The encounters I was referring to happened at walking pace. And I'm not a mountain biker!
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

[youtube]r1WA5SkJd2E[/youtube]
Accusing the behaviour of the dog as being aggressive and threatening is just ridiculous - the dog was showing play behaviour (barking is NOT a sign of aggression). I cannot understand quite why you felt threatened by the dog. Your bad language so quickly almost certainly made the situation far worse than it needed to have been. OK, the owner should have held the dog as you passed but I can see how your attitude would get her back up to be uncooperative.

Ian

You are 100% wrong there. That is clear evidence of a dog totally out of control in a public place, and posing a public danger. the cyclist can't advance on their bike without risking hitting the dog and being knocked off their bike. The person with the dog has no business to be in charge a dog at all. There was nothing playful about it's behavior. And of course barking can be a sign of aggression.
Why did the person not put the dog on the lead? Because they had no control over it. QED.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
On my last but one trip out on my usual training ground.
Two dogs in the road (single track, national cycle route) they see me and both come towards me barking, one growls at me (farm dogs) as I have dogs and have encountered before I shout loudly and try to pass.
One is behind me and gives up (I am at a walking pace) the other backs down the road about 50 - 70 yards constantly barking I keep shouting at it loudly, backing it into farm entrance, they I try to get away but dog is persistant, he finally gives up and I am on my way again.

If I did not shout at dog they were probably going to bite my heels or they would be under my wheel / bring me off.

I have been chased by one of these dogs several times this year.

The owners are not there as they are farm dogs, they come and go as they please.

What would you do :?:

As I own male large dogs for over twenty years I know what to do but stopping does not make them go away.
I confront them and shout at them as I know the farmer would do the same.

Farm dogs......old blind and bored not working like sheep dog...rat catchers at best.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Flinders wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Accusing the behaviour of the dog as being aggressive and threatening is just ridiculous - the dog was showing play behaviour (barking is NOT a sign of aggression). I cannot understand quite why you felt threatened by the dog. Your bad language so quickly almost certainly made the situation far worse than it needed to have been. OK, the owner should have held the dog as you passed but I can see how your attitude would get her back up to be uncooperative.

Ian

You are 100% wrong there. That is clear evidence of a dog totally out of control in a public place, and posing a public danger. the cyclist can't advance on their bike without risking hitting the dog and being knocked off their bike. The person with the dog has no business to be in charge a dog at all. There was nothing playful about it's behavior. And of course barking can be a sign of aggression.
Why did the person not put the dog on the lead? Because they had no control over it. QED.

An aggressive bark is different from that in the video. The dog's manner is not that of being aggressive. Look at its mouth. Look at its tail (which would be held completely differently for any of the aggressive behaviours). If the dog were being aggressive it would have been paying far more attention to the cyclist and not wandering off when the bike was stationary. That is would rush back when the bike moved and wander off when the bike was stationary shows it is more of a chase behaviour rather than an aggressive behaviour.

Maybe the owner should have held the dog whilst the cyclist moved off but the way the rider got angry and started using bad language would have got my back-up as well and I would have been less inclined to cooperate.

In fact the cyclist was being more aggressive than the dog. Good way to get cyclists a bad reputation in my opinion. An the more people start telling their friends about the "horrid lycra louts", bad language, etc., the less cooperation we get, the less consideration drivers give, etc.

Being pleasant gets you cooperation. Being nasty does not.

Ian
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

Sorry Lycra cyclists as they cycle flat out in heavily wooded areas, which not only nearly knocked me off, there was also a lady walking a blind dog, which they nearly hit and the cyclist were in pairs. My number one is sheep as they run towards you down to the road from the hills on unfenced roads!!! Coos that defecate and urinate on you if you stop to close behind when going to the farm for milking, have seen one poor cyclists being a victim, be warned coos see backwards!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thread resurrection alert

Dogpersons are worse, if only because they are much more numerous than horsepersons
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Cyril Haearn wrote:Thread resurrection alert

Dogpersons are worse, if only because they are much more numerous than horsepersons

Are dog persons worse because there are more of them?
In Newmarket and probably other places They have horse crossings across roads, the horses take priority ?
Although dogs and dog persons can be frustrating they have no real priority over cyclists or other shared path users.
I have had horses blocked my way On one more than one occasion on the motorbike and on the pushbike.
Only a horse rider has ever told me to dismount on my bicycle, "Can you please get off your bike, I can't guarantee the horse won't kick " This was on a public highway.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

At least dog-owners have learnt to either pick up the product or get their dogs to crap on the verge. Not so the haughty horsegit:

Have we got time for another cuppa?
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
What would you rather step in?
I think the media say that most dog owners pick up the mess so as not to get slated by the general public Dog lovers.
If you're a dog owner and you pick your mess up you soon realise that plenty of people do not, especially the ones that walk in front of the dog.
I've never seen the statistics on proportion of people who do or do not pick up dog mess?
I was out walking my dog one day and (old story) when I turned around to shut the gate on the path the guy was watching me to see whether or not I would notice whether or not he would pick up his dog mess or not.
It was in long grass, he walked towards where his dog had been but I don't think he had a chance in hell of finding it from a distance of 20 yards away.
99.9%certain

Post by 99.9%certain »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Thread resurrection alert

Some dog persons.
Usually those with yappy little fur balls on stupid extendable leads.Some of us have well trained dogs that stop and sit on command.
Audax67 wrote:At least dog-owners have learnt to either pick up the product or get their dogs to crap on the verge. Not so the haughty horsegit

As Horses are vegetarian their manure whilst huge and messy is not a worry for humans.Dog muck can be very harmful.Still looks a mess and can be hazardous to cyclists but it’s not practical for them to pick it up and not a requirement.
I’m not a horsey type btw.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Redvee wrote:Had a run in with a dog and owner last Sunday. I tried to remain calm and polite but soon lost patience with the owner as you can probably tell from the NSFW langauge I resorted to.

[youtube]r1WA5SkJd2E[/youtube]

Stupid, stupid dog owner! Didn't she see the danger of the dog getting into the wheel and you having a fall.
Dog owners think everyone likes their fluffy pet.
I don't like cruelty to animals but a we'll aimed kick may have been the answer!
I don't have a problem with dogs on shared paths if the dog is kept under control.
My worse experience was with a cyclist who'd attached his dog to his bike with a lead and a spring contraption.
The dog and rider spread across the width of the path causing ne a detour into the ditch.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

What a thread - who is the most irritating dog walkers or horse riders? Not an ideal subject when more and more motorists are complaining about how irritating cyclists are. Complain about that attitude and they'll say well you lot feel the same about......
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker