Camera question - what do you use

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Vladimir

Camera question - what do you use

Post by Vladimir »

Hey folks.

I was wondering who uses a camera on their commute, for the purposes of having evidence should something happen?

If so, what camera do you use? Ideally I'd like one that doesn't break the bank, a GoPro seems excessive for this relatively simple task.

Cheers

Vlad
JamesE

Re: Camera question - what do you use

Post by JamesE »

I asked this question a few months back and got lots of good answers. None of which I’ve followed up on…
broadway

Post by broadway »

I don't have one, but this was taken with a chilli tech action camera 120hd and was good enough to get the registration.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2stHmGD7SHA[/youtube]
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

JamesE wrote:I asked this question a few months back and got lots of good answers. None of which I’ve followed up on…

how come?
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

Vladimir wrote:how come?

Couldn't afford it at the time, have actually been finding drivers much more polite over the last couple of months. Maybe it's the weather...
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

JamesE wrote:
Vladimir wrote:how come?

Couldn't afford it at the time, have actually been finding drivers much more polite over the last couple of months. Maybe it's the weather...

yes - to be honest the "burning desire" for a helmet cam does come and go for me every 4-6 months and it is connected with close passes, verbal abuse from drivers, or other negative experience.

In reality, so far, things on the road for me have been fine - i.e. I've only crashed once* in 4 years. Based on that track record (no pun intended) things are going to continue to be fine... until they're not! I am definitely getting one this time. Might start with me recording my rides with my phone, and move on from there.

* (I got off with only a bruise and a £75 repair bill to replace the front wheel)
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

I have two Muvi HD Camcorders by Veho. Both in their waterproof cases, one mounted on my helmet facing forwards, the other affixed to my seatpost facing rearward. Endurance is 2-3 hours. For those situations when I need to recharge the batteries when I am out, I also bought a 'Pebble' by Veho, it's a battery which will give several recharges to the cameras.
I have more to say on this, but have relegated it to a new topic.