Ten Miles a Day

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Ayesha

Re: Ten Miles a Day

Post by Ayesha »

Starting to struggle to keep the average above 24. Got to 24.29, but its dropped to 24.07
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Show off!

I'm managing just a tad under 14 at the moment. Hoping to reach 5,000 for the year .....
Mick F. Cornwall
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

I'd forgotten about this thread, thanks for reviving it! :D

Currently averaging 12.5 miles/day. Last year I finished on 8.8 miles/day, happy I'm keeping ahead of that.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, it's a good thread and it makes me think about riding more. The mileage idea has got me thinking ..............

I found last year, that I was finding easy miles just to keep the averages up. It led me to go out five or six times a week, but generally not many miles at a time. This year, I'm going out less, but going further.

Also, I wonder what the difference is between easy miles and hard miles, and how to differentiate.

This year so far, for instance, I've done 2,950miles and climbed 261,000ft of climbing.
Today is Day 210 of the year, so I've climbed 1,243ft per day. I wonder if I can manage an average of 1,300ft per day? This may make me find more hills. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Just over 13 M / Day :)
Despite most recent 168, 215 & 196 Mile day rides.
The more into the year it gets the more miles you have to put in to make any difference.
So next year I will do some silly rides in the first month and watch you all catch up :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Mick F wrote:Yes, it's a good thread and it makes me think about riding more. The mileage idea has got me thinking ..............

I found last year, that I was finding easy miles just to keep the averages up. It led me to go out five or six times a week, but generally not many miles at a time. This year, I'm going out less, but going further.

Also, I wonder what the difference is between easy miles and hard miles, and how to differentiate.

This year so far, for instance, I've done 2,950miles and climbed 261,000ft of climbing.
Today is Day 210 of the year, so I've climbed 1,243ft per day. I wonder if I can manage an average of 1,300ft per day? This may make me find more hills. :D

Mick.
The difference between an 'Easy mile' and a 'Hard mile' is about 100 Calories... :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

139,000cals so far this year.
That's averaging 661.5 per day, or 47cals per mile.
Mick F. Cornwall
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

Mick F wrote:... and climbed 261,000ft of climbing.
Today is Day 210 of the year, so I've climbed 1,243ft per day.

:shock:

Just calculated my ft/day of climbing. It's much, much less than that............
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

This is me making a bit of fun. Sorry. :lol:

Living where I do, hills are a fact of life. Living in a steep-sided valley doesn't help at all, but even when I climb out of it, the ups and downs never stop. My average speeds suffer of course, and I rarely get above 13mph average on a ride, despite 40mph+ descents being commonplace ....................... just like sub 5mph climbs. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
Lego-Ads

Post by Lego-Ads »

Hi all, fairly new here but this is a good thread to see what people are doing! I've put off getting a road bike for around 8yrs on the fear I'd always be the one on the path changing punctures. However in April I got my first bike (Specialized Allez) and although I didn't start using until mid May (Marathons and holiday's took over), I've been getting out 5-6 times a week and averaging 27.3 miles each ride.

I have to say I can't get enough and though I'm normally a fan of Autumn and Winter season, I don't want this dry nice weather to end and my daily biking to get cut down :(
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Lego-Ads wrote: I don't want this dry nice weather to end and my daily biking to get cut down :(

Welcome! Put some race blades (mudguards) on your bike and keep riding :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Mick F wrote:139,000cals so far this year.
That's averaging 661.5 per day, or 47cals per mile.

That is a very acceptable cals per mile value.
Mine's about the same. :D
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
With a HRM based device, long runs are 30 kcal / m, shorter training is 50 kcals / mile, up to 57 seldom . but all at an average of over 80 % max heart rate this year.
Lego-Ads

Post by Lego-Ads »

Vorpal wrote:
Lego-Ads wrote: I don't want this dry nice weather to end and my daily biking to get cut down :(

Welcome! Put some race blades (mudguards) on your bike and keep riding :)
Thank you! It'll carry on, but be kept to weekends with the light change :(
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/arti ... ie-reading

"Calories Calculated with Heart Rate
Measuring energy expenditure based on heart rate has come a long way over the years along with technological improvements, and more are still popping up as we speak. There are several generations of algorithms that are derived from scientific metabolic testing, so trust that the companies aren’t just throwing numbers at you. Most of the HR based calculations are within 10-20% accurate. That’s not as close as within 5% with power, but not everyone wants to or can invest in that technology.

Most all HR devices use the basic user input metrics including gender, height, weight, and activity level combined with the heart data recorded. So the main thing with HR devices is to make sure you input as much accurate information as possible. In some devices actually inputting your tested VO2max over the device-estimated value can improve the accuracy from 20% to more like 12%. Some of the more advanced methods evolving now evaluate the time between heartbeats, called beat to beat, to estimate MET (Metabolic Equivalent), which finally is used to determine actual work expenditure. And some devices also have a “learn” function that with continued use tracks your changes in fitness and adjusts the energy algorithm. So sharing a device with a family member or friend once you may not notice different results, but frequently, then you probably would.

Calories Calculated with Time and Distance
Here is where the measure of energy expenditure really is tough to blame on the device. When there is no data reported from your body, the device is left to calculate energy expenditure based on the raw metrics including time, distance (if available), age, weight, and activity level (if device has this setting). That’s why this method can range from being 20-60% off. So, really you can’t depend on calorie estimates from a device with just these metrics. For example, a ride that may actually be 600 kcals total (500 kcals to summit a climb but a minimal 100 kcals to soft-pedal back down hill) would actually report as potentially a 960 kcal activity if the 60% inaccuracy is true. That’s substantial enough in a single workout to throw off the common -500 kcal/day deficit that often person aim for to lose 1 lb/week safely.

There are some general guidelines that exist for these calculations, but as you can see by the chart they don’t take into consideration your effort level to achieve the speed. This is a large factor because quickly you can conceptualize the difference of effort that is required to pedal at these rates; into a headwind or crosswind versus a tailwind, up a steep climb versus on the flats or descending, or even on a technical mountain bike trial versus a leisurely regional gravel path."