Sri Lanka Commonwealth Cyclists On M74

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
timdownieuk

Re: Sri Lanka Commonwealth Cyclists On M74

Post by timdownieuk »

I could well imagine that a motorway hard shoulder would be way safer than many roads that they train on back home!
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

timdownieuk wrote:I could well imagine that a motorway hard shoulder would be way safer than many roads that they train on back home!

Or many roads in the UK.
irc

Post by irc »

timdownieuk wrote:I could well imagine that a motorway hard shoulder would be way safer than many roads that they train on back home!

If it was legal I'd take a rural motorway shoulder before a busy fast A road any day. I've cycled a few sections of Interstate shoulders in the USA and it felt perfectly safe.

But the places where riding on the interstates is legal is usually in very rural areas where there is few junctions and bugger all traffic compared to the UK. HGVs frequently moved into the offside lane to pass me even when I was at the inner edge of a 12ft wide shoulder.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Hard shoulders are reckoned to be pretty unsafe for broken-down motorists. Can't see why it would be different for bikes.

And then there's the junctions...
timdownieuk

Post by timdownieuk »

Didn't say it was safe, just possibly safer than their roads in Sri Lanka. ;-)
Braveheart

Post by Braveheart »

The roads are Crazy in SL. Not sure if the have a motorway yet, so an easy mistake to make. They have been building an mway for years, not sure if its open yet
Saying that I've witnessed their pro's often over the years. Most, from memory, are military. Some of the roads they train on are more suitable for horse and cart. After being there im never going to complain about the roads in sussex agaion
..... they may take our lives.... but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!