Cycling to Nordkapp: searching for suggestions

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
serbring

Re: Cycling to Nordkapp: searching for suggestions

Post by serbring »

Vorpal wrote:yes :)

thanks a lot. travelling is always problematic for the electricity, we are in EU but there is still no standard. :)
Nigel Laverick

Post by Nigel Laverick »

I have just returned from a trip across Europe which included Norway. It took me 4 weeks from Kristianland to North Cape it was ab . I got my route in Norway from the net , I can't remember the name of the site but it is an account written by an Australian lady who rode N.Cape to Kristianland , you'll find it easily. Take front and rear lights for the tunnels and don't worry about the N. Cape tunnels because they are ok ( and I don't like tunnels). Watch out for Germany , the cycle paths are terrible and the motorists do not want you on the road, I was carved up and got really fed up with them blasting their horns at me. The cycle paths are so bumpy that they bust my rear bearings and I have good touring wheels. I would get the train to Denmark and ride from there, I rode up the west coast and the cycle paths and drivers were superb. If you are going in July or August take mossie repellant and a mossie hood. Norway is not expensive if you use supermarkets , a jar of coffee costs 25nk , a 500g bag of pasta 12nk, a good loaf 28nk , 400g of minced meat 20nk .... best of all you can get a free cup of coffee at quite a few of the smaller coop stores. Campsites varied between 100nk and 150nk and they nearly all (bar one ) had good campers kitchens. You can get the bus back from Hennig something on N Cape to Alta airport for 380nk.
Nigel Laverick

Post by Nigel Laverick »

I have just returned from a trip across Europe which included Norway. It took me 4 weeks from Kristianland to North Cape it was ab . I got my route in Norway from the net , I can't remember the name of the site but it is an account written by an Australian lady who rode N.Cape to Kristianland , you'll find it easily. Take front and rear lights for the tunnels and don't worry about the N. Cape tunnels because they are ok ( and I don't like tunnels). Watch out for Germany , the cycle paths are terrible and the motorists do not want you on the road, I was carved up and got really fed up with them blasting their horns at me. The cycle paths are so bumpy that they bust my rear bearings and I have good touring wheels. I would get the train to Denmark and ride from there, I rode up the west coast and the cycle paths and drivers were superb. If you are going in July or August take mossie repellant and a mossie hood. Norway is not expensive if you use supermarkets , a jar of coffee costs 25nk , a 500g bag of pasta 12nk, a good loaf 28nk , 400g of minced meat 20nk .... best of all you can get a free cup of coffee at quite a few of the smaller coop stores. Campsites varied between 100nk and 150nk and they nearly all (bar one ) had good campers kitchens. You can get the bus back from Hennig something on N Cape to Alta airport for 380nk. Good luck Nigel L
serbring

Post by serbring »

Nigel Laverick wrote:I have just returned from a trip across Europe which included Norway. It took me 4 weeks from Kristianland to North Cape it was ab . I got my route in Norway from the net , I can't remember the name of the site but it is an account written by an Australian lady who rode N.Cape to Kristianland , you'll find it easily. Take front and rear lights for the tunnels and don't worry about the N. Cape tunnels because they are ok ( and I don't like tunnels). Watch out for Germany , the cycle paths are terrible and the motorists do not want you on the road, I was carved up and got really fed up with them blasting their horns at me. The cycle paths are so bumpy that they bust my rear bearings and I have good touring wheels. I would get the train to Denmark and ride from there, I rode up the west coast and the cycle paths and drivers were superb. If you are going in July or August take mossie repellant and a mossie hood. Norway is not expensive if you use supermarkets , a jar of coffee costs 25nk , a 500g bag of pasta 12nk, a good loaf 28nk , 400g of minced meat 20nk .... best of all you can get a free cup of coffee at quite a few of the smaller coop stores. Campsites varied between 100nk and 150nk and they nearly all (bar one ) had good campers kitchens. You can get the bus back from Hennig something on N Cape to Alta airport for 380nk. Good luck Nigel L

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for your suggestions. Interesting. How was the weather? Regarding food I'd prefer to not bring with me the cooking equipment. Can I get something just prepared on the road, like sandwiches, piece of cakes, and so on? Are this kind of meals expensive?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Lots of food advice on viewtopic.php?f=16&t=86142
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
serbring

Post by serbring »

Vorpal wrote:Lots of food advice on viewtopic.php?f=16&t=86142

Thanks Vorpal, you're the wikipedia of this forum :)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

serbring wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Lots of food advice on viewtopic.php?f=16&t=86142

Thanks Vorpal, you're the wikipedia of this forum :)

:oops: You only think that because you're looking for information about Norway. :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
MartinP

Post by MartinP »

I cycled to Nordcapp in 2009 from Uk heading across north Germany, Poland, Baltics across to Helsinki and due north through Finland and into Norway. I wrote an account which you can find on www.martinphilpot.co.uk.
Good luck,
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

serbring wrote:Regarding food I'd prefer to not bring with me the cooking equipment. Can I get something just prepared on the road, like sandwiches, piece of cakes, and so on? Are this kind of meals expensive?

You can live on bread and cheese etc without breaking the bank, but if it's cold you might miss the warm drink you can cook up on a stove. Food and drinks in cafes etc is very expensive.
serbring

Post by serbring »

iviehoff wrote:
serbring wrote:Regarding food I'd prefer to not bring with me the cooking equipment. Can I get something just prepared on the road, like sandwiches, piece of cakes, and so on? Are this kind of meals expensive?

You can live on bread and cheese etc without breaking the bank, but if it's cold you might miss the warm drink you can cook up on a stove. Food and drinks in cafes etc is very expensive.

thanks. for your suggestion.

Does the webisite with the list of tunnels work now? On my laptop tunnels are not displayed anymore. Here the website
http://www.cycletourer.co.uk/maps/tunnelmap.shtml
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There's a new tunnels map on the Vegvesen (highway authority) site http://www.vegdata.no/2014/06/17/cyclin ... n-tunnels/ There is a link 'Link to this vegkart-query'. If you click on it, there is a nice map that shows tunnels and the status with regard to cyclists.
serbring

Post by serbring »

Vorpal wrote:There's a new tunnels map on the Vegvesen (highway authority) site http://www.vegdata.no/2014/06/17/cyclin ... n-tunnels/ There is a link 'Link to this vegkart-query'. If you click on it, there is a nice map that shows tunnels and the status with regard to cyclists.

thanks. This works much better than the other