First accident

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
wynn

First accident

Post by wynn »

After 10 yrs of almost accident free cycling, this afternoon i got hit by a car. Cycling along a straight road a car came out from the side road on my left. I almost managed to get out of her way but she kept on coming at me and hit my back wheel sending me sprawling. Nothing broken, bumps and bruises and some bones in my shoulder rearranged - could have been a lot worse. Never done an insurance claim for my bike before. Not too much damage done but will claim on her insurance for whatever needs putting right along with replacement for cracked helmet and damaged cycling shirt - any advice on how to go about this ?
eileithyia

Re: First accident

Post by eileithyia »

Get her insurance details. Get your bike to a bike shop (or 2-3) and get some quotes for repair/replacement. Inc replacement clothes and helmets. Get to doctor to have injuries recorded and logged.
Keep a diary; pain, recovery from the pain, stiffnes/bruising. Take photographs of bruises, grazes etc. Also list all costs, ie costs of travel to doctors, bike shop etc., journeys undertaken by bus, taxi, car that would normally have been done by bike...
You may want to consider a cycle friendly solicitor, insurance companies do not want to pay out precious cash if they can help it and will find anyway they can to reduce pay out... so you may want someone with adequate knowledge on your side.

Were the police informed? You were injured and by rights the driver should have informed the police of an accident potentially leading to injury.

Best wishes and there are lots of other similar threads on the forum advising....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
wynn

Re: First accident

Post by wynn »

Thanks for the advice most of which i have already done or am doing. Contacted CTC legal dept this afternoon who took loads of details and were very helpful. Thanks again.