Appropriate License Plate

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
chrisc

Re: Appropriate License Plate

Post by chrisc »

I have twice sold the registration marks of family cars to dealers in these things. Easy money ! Nothing special about either of the plates (that I could see) but somebody must have wanted them.

I have always thought that what I don’t need is a distinctive, memorable plate on a vehicle driven by me lest some easily provoked, fulminating, self-righteous soul - you know the kind - decides that I have offended him in some obscure way. Anonymity can be a blessing.
Tourer : 2010 Giant CRS City 4.0
Other : 1963 Denton retro (now back in the loft!)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

That people spend money on such things sort of makes one wonder about our society. What is really important to us and why? And at least the latest top of the range HD recorder provides some extra features that might one day enable you to do something ... but a personalised number plate?.

Ian
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Psamathe wrote:That people spend money on such things sort of makes one wonder about our society. What is really important to us and why? And at least the latest top of the range HD recorder provides some extra features that might one day enable you to do something ... but a personalised number plate?

If you can bring yourself to watch half an hour of a bunch of saddo's trying to justify themselves, this explains a lot...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have a mate with a cherished number plate, and it is cherished. Really.
I has been in the family since it was issued on a new car in 1963 and has been on many different cars. Nowt special, just a 1963 C reg plate.

Also, on the same subject, a neighbour is a Who fan and her car has a WHO xx? numberplate on it, and it's her second one using that plate. In actual fact - and I didn't know this until I spoke to her about it - but when you apply to DVLA to change your plate, you keep the old one, so when you eventually sell or dispose of the car, you can revert to the original number. Consequently, she still has the original number plates.

The DVLA have two numbers recorded for these cars - original and cherished.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

It's the very definition of having too much money to spend. Money spent for the sake of it. Money that could be spent on improving somebody else's life being spent by those who obviously have all they could ever need in the world specifying lettering for personal vanity. Kind of thing that makes me think we need a modern day Robin Hood
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Bicycler wrote:It's the very definition of having too much money to spend. Money spent for the sake of it. Money that could be spent on improving somebody else's life being spent by those who obviously have all they could ever need in the world specifying lettering for personal vanity. Kind of thing that makes me think we need a modern day Robin Hood

Do cyclists not personalise their bikes? Stickers with the owners name on it?
I don't believe it's about vanity, but about having something which is yours, something no one else has, a one off.
As for having too much money, let's wait and see how many cyclists sell their £1000+ crappy fibre bling bikes to make do with a £150 iron tubed fully suspended Asda bike and giving the change to cancer research. :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Vantage wrote:Do cyclists not personalise their bikes? Stickers with the owners name on it?

I certainly don't, and I don't recall seeing a bike so 'decorated', although I suppose it might help in the task of picking out one's mount from the heap outside a popular cake stop... :lol:

Vantage wrote:see how many cyclists sell their £1000+ crappy fibre bling bikes to make do with a £150 iron tubed fully suspended Asda bike and giving the change to cancer research. :)

That's a bit unfair, all I will say, not going to pitch into a strident debate about whether high-end bikes are only 'bling'! I will just say, two of my bikes are steel framed and elderly, but that doesn't make them 'Asda'...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

661-Pete wrote:That's a bit unfair, all I will say, not going to pitch into a strident debate about whether high-end bikes are only 'bling'! I will just say, two of my bikes are steel framed and elderly, but that doesn't make them 'Asda'...

I have a deep seated hatred and loathing of anything "carbon fibre". I wouldn't ride one of those monstrosities if my life depended on it :)
As much as I 'love' my own alloy framed rig, I do have a fondness for steel framed bikes. The nicest bike I ever had was a 1980's Peugeot Ultima 531 framed road bike handed down to me by my dad who bought it travel to work on while the VW Transporter was converted into a camper :) It was the only bike to ever get me to over 50mph.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
BlueMeldon

Post by BlueMeldon »

Hi XAP [Bob],
I'd bring it to the attention of the police, it's intentionally misrepresented and there's a hefty fine - if they choose to follow it up !!
The law must see these plates daily - perhaps the offence has been down-graded because the gov are making money out of it.
A friend of mine wore a T-shirt and he was advised to remove it or turn it inside out - priorities seem skewed these days.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

BlueMeldon wrote:Hi XAP [Bob],
I'd bring it to the attention of the police, it's intentionally misrepresented and there's a hefty fine - if they choose to follow it up !!
The law must see these plates daily - perhaps the offence has been down-graded because the gov are making money out of it.
A friend of mine wore a T-shirt and he was advised to remove it or turn it inside out - priorities seem skewed these days.

Yep - the Various places I've been so far have suggested that, and decided that they can't be bothered to chase whether the MOT garage is doing their job right (even though that's their primary responsibility)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:I believe the DVLA censor certain letter and digit combinations which might be offensive, they simply refuse to issue them. The number on your photo seems to me to fall into that category. The inference is obvious...

Having said that, I recall spotting, on a visit to Germany many years ago, a car with the registration mark , followed by a hyphen, followed by two more letters which I leave to your imagination, followed by a number. How they got away with that one I can't imagine. As I said it was many years ago: in those days fewer Germans were fluent in English than now.

*FUe* still exists, the last-but-one transport minister reintroduced lots of local marks too, he is remembered for that
One possible combination was BUL-LE (slang: cop), there are many more
A personal number costs about €15
A few combinations (eg HJ: hitler jugend) are not allowed
The German F-word is a fairly common surname actually
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies