Photo's (Possible spoilers)

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Postboxer

Photo's (Possible spoilers)

Post by Postboxer »

Come on, let's see your pics of Le Tour, hopefully you got better than I did in Hebden Bridge, I added possible spoilers just in case anyone had a really good seat at the finish.
The fat commuter

Re: Photo's (Possible spoilers)

Post by The fat commuter »

Taken between High Bradfield and Worrall, just outside Sheffield.

High Bradfield, about a mile away, was absolutely mobbed. Where we were was much more relaxed - far fewer people.

I had the camera on burst mode - took about 400 photos. Will try to work out how to convert them into a video. Once I have done that, I'll upload it to YouTube (or whatever).

My grandparents lived on Hebden Bridge Road when they were alive, just outside Oxenhope. My aunt sold their farm the year before last - would have been a fantastic place to watch.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

P7051222.JPG

Peleton climbing Buttertubs.

P7071267 copy.jpg

Peleton passing St John's College Cambridge.
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

The breakaway pair, Barta and Bideau, come down the Lea Bridge Road:

The peloton follow a couple of minutes behind:

then a few stragglers trying to catch up (the first is Alexander Kristoff; I'd welcome identification of the other two and any explanation of why they were behind):

and a very tall man on a very tall bike goes the wrong way entirely:

mjr

Post by mjr »

So many idiots watching the race through camera screens, often obstructing the view of other fans, or punching them and kicking a pushchair as they try to get their camera over the barriers, like one late-arriving phone-wielding nutter near me in Yorkshire. Why do that? The race is all over TV if you want pictures.

Let's stop praising the fruits of people's bad habits. It's busy, so watch the race and don't get in the way of others watching... and definitely don't bring riders down, as we saw again today! :-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

^^

The thing being is that people want to take home with them a souvenir of the day. They want to remind themselves a few weeks or even a few years down the line just how close they were to the action. They also want to show (off) to others their photos to show just where they were on the historic day when The TDF came to Britain. I've shown mine off to friends and colleagues and the majority of them are jealous as we had such a good position by the side of the road.

I'll often take my camera to various events. I've got pictures from concerts that I went to in the eighties, like Pink Floyd at Maine Road. The pictures aren't that good - the ones in the programme are far, far superior, but it is good to look back on them just to say, "I was there".

Back to The TDF, I have no idea how the competitors manage. I'm not talking about people taking photos as such, although there will always be some numpties - just the sheer volume of people on the route. The density of the crowds on the actual roads on some of the sections must have really hindered the cyclists. I imagine that it makes the race more like a procession in places as passing must be near impossible.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

We were at the start of the Buttertubs climb.
We watched the race go by then waited an hour and a half for all the spectators to walk and ride down off Buttertubs before we headed up the climb to cycle back to Kirkby Stephen where the car was parked, and there were still people coming down.

Jens Voigt on his solo breakaway
rps20140708_202102_209.jpg

Alberto Contador, Tinkoff Saxo, with Mark Cavendish just entering the frame
rps20140708_202042_835.jpg

Chris Froome, Sky
rps20140708_202017_181.jpg

Thomas Voeckler, Europcar
rps20140708_201952_568.jpg

Rui Costa in world champions jersey
rps20140708_201919_176.jpg