Oh lordy, what have I let myself in for?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

Re: Oh lordy, what have I let myself in for?

Post by mercalia »

are there any rules about using an electric assisted bike?
mjr

Post by mjr »

If I were GrumpyGit, I'd do a few rides, then join an easy riding group to build up the distances and see nicer routes. I think one of the forum regulars has mentioned a group in north London but I forget who. After all, there's no minimum speed for a good ride, is there?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

The OP mentioned upthread that he was in North Central London and was thinking of taking trains out, so I'd recommend the Central London CTC - http://www.centrallondonctc.org.uk
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
GrumpyGit

Post by GrumpyGit »

Slow Loris wrote:The OP mentioned upthread that he was in North Central London and was thinking of taking trains out, so I'd recommend the Central London CTC - http://www.centrallondonctc.org.uk

Thanks for the lead, I'll be following that up in a week or two.

The Brooks is on and even though it's new doesn't feel too bad. Being a big lad I should break it in a bit quicker than smaller people. I've ordered some fancy bolts for the seatpost and saddle clamp to (hopefully) reduce the danger of it being stolen.

As the Brooks will probably outlast my bike I plan to transfer it to the next one (whenever that occurs).

Once I've built up my strength a bit I do have a local substitute which should provide suitable training for Ditchling Beacon,
Highgate Hill is steep enough for most folks :D
Derek - The enlightened petrolhead ;)
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

GrumpyGit wrote:Once I've built up my strength a bit I do have a local substitute which should provide suitable training for Ditchling Beacon,

In case you spot me – I'll be the one standing at the top holding out a large doughnut on a stick :lol:
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
GrumpyGit

Post by GrumpyGit »

Slow Loris wrote:In case you spot me – I'll be the one standing at the top holding out a large doughnut on a stick :lol:

Hmm doughnuts, so yummy!

I did pedal up Highgate Hill once (a few years ago), it's not something I'd like to do regularly and I had to use my lowest available gear but the biggest problem was the road being blocked by stationary tin boxes.

A nice coffee at Caffe Nero will revive me for the gravity assisted journey back home to Highbury!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

GrumpyGit wrote:I did pedal up Highgate Hill once (a few years ago), it's not something I'd like to do regularly and I had to use my lowest available gear but the biggest problem was the road being blocked by stationary tin boxes.
I'm sorry to break it to you, but Highgate Hill doesn't really compare with Ditchling Beacon - though it is probably closer to Turners Hill in scale of effort required. The Beacon reaches about 16% (between 1-in-6 and 1-in-7 in old money). But unless you're very lucky, you won't be able to ride up the Beacon on the day anyway - it won't be tin boxes blocking your route but sweating human bodies all wheeling their bikes...

If you do fancy sounding out the area some time, drop me a PM because I live quite close. Burgess Hill and Hassocks are the nearest train stations. But don't expect me to accompany you up the Beacon itself! Those days are over for yours truly...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
BV1961

Post by BV1961 »

I've not done this ride so can't comment on the training.....but for weight loss I'd recommend the 5-2 diet...it really works and you could lose 1-2lb every week......rather than be on a continuous restrictive diet you only have to control yourself at 600 calls on any two days of the week....after each day of that you rely enjoy food and you won't want to undo the benefits of the diet days on none diet days....it worked for me and my wife.
Weight reduction obviously makes cycling so much easier----especially over Ditchling Beacon!
chrisc

Post by chrisc »

+1 for the 5:2 diet. All Hail Michael Moseley ! It works, it really does.

But as to the OP and his doubts about L2B, you’ve got until next year, sir ! Loadsatime. So you can have a good snigger at myself who has until .. umm, this coming Saturday to ‘train’ for L2B. Saturday ? Well, that is because I am entered for the L2B Night Ride. Similar route and effort but without the suntan. Full moon though 8) . And the longest ride I have done this year, what with one thing and another, is a mere 31 miles; last night (in the dark) in fact. I admit I have left it a bit late. Oh yes. So I am probably not the best advisor for training; I fully recognise that.

As to congestion, check out some of the YouTube videos on L2B. A revelation. At least the Night Ride is limited to 5,000 participants. The daytime one is 30,000 IIRC :shock: .
Tourer : 2010 Giant CRS City 4.0
Other : 1963 Denton retro (now back in the loft!)
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

GrumpyGit wrote:Once I've built up my strength a bit I do have a local substitute which should provide suitable training for Ditchling Beacon,
I've not done L2B but I know the route. You might need to ride up Highgate Hill more than once on one ride if you really want training :wink: . For example the North Downs are higher than Highgate Hill.
The problem with Ditchling Beacon is that it is situated very near the end of the run when you (and everybody else) will be feeling most tired. That's why so many people walk. However many people who are not super fit cycle L2B.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
GrumpyGit

Post by GrumpyGit »

All good advice, thank you folks!

After only a few miles the Brooks is feeling good and I believe it'll be the difference between walking and not after a long distance.

As I frequently see cannibalised bikes sans saddle and the Brooks was quite an investment I've changed the seat post and saddle clamp bolts for non-standard fittings which the average street-scrote is less likely to be carrying tools to fit.

I know it's impossible to make a bike or it's components totally thief proof, I've just got to make it easier for them to steal someone else's kit :(

Once I've built up my strength a bit and hardened my backside some I'll probably make a Sunday morning double espresso at Caffe Nero in Highgate Village a regular appointment. Should help with the conditioning, then I can add Crouch and Muswell hills to the programme :D
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

Glad the Brooks is working out - I love mine. Never tried it (yet), but replacing the saddle cover with a pair of unwashed underpants could be a very effective thief deterrent :mrgreen: . Best of luck with the training :) .
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used