Recommend me a rear rack for small frame

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
fishfright

Recommend me a rear rack for small frame

Post by fishfright »

Im about to get a rear rack for my small framed tourer. Its a 50cm horizontal TT Longstaff and im wondering is some racks are more suitable than others for frames this small.

Its only for camp / touring in this country and Im not sure if i can stretch to a Tubus .
thirdcrank

Re: Recommend me a rear rack for small frame

Post by thirdcrank »

I don't think that frame size is the main factor here because wheelsize is the main factor. Unless your bike has unusually small wheels, the legs on the rack will have to be the standard length to clear the wheel and mudguards. You will need to ensure that the arms (or arm) connecting the top of the rack to the seatstays are long enough to ensure the rack is level when fitted. AFAIK, most modern racks are adjustable for this reason.

(You can delete your other post yourself by clicking on the little square with an x in it, at the top of the post next to the quote, edit and report post buttons- so long as you do so before anybody else adds a post.)
531colin

Post by 531colin »

There is no way to sidestep quality.
Tubus do extra-long stays for small frames...http://www.tubus.com/info.php?xn=53

.....but who stocks them??
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

these guys do !

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/tubus-pa ... 66686.html

theses arms can be used with the Tortec and Racktime racks too :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

2 bikes with frames smaller than that here (well, 3, but 1 has no rack at present), one with a Tubus Logo (IIRC), the other a Tortec Velocity Hybrid. Both fit well. Neither need any special long stays... not sure why they would. As ever, SJS also do lots and lots of rack spares, including long arms.

Recently bought a Blackburn rack for another bike, and unsure about the build quality, and prefer the Tortec and Tubus we have.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I have a 48cm bike and this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004XVPDMC/r ... Stb03W2KDA fits nicely.
2 sets of stays are supplied (one set is stupidly long) and 2 sets of the little steel plates (can't remember what they're called) that bolt to the rack eyelets are supplied (also of different lengths).
10mm alloy tubing with twin rail heights allow use of the top of the rack without fouling the panniers. There's no sprung top plate but there is a plate on the back with 60mm spaced holes for a rack light.
I've seen nicer welds but it doesn't look or feel like it'll fall to bits any time soon. £25
Attachments
image.jpg
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
andrew.redman2

Post by andrew.redman2 »

I would suggest that the rack will break, mine did. I have had this one a few years now no sign of wear.
http://www.blackburndesign.com/racks/ex ... 8BR8dm9LCQ
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

There's a cyclist on another forum who had the same model bike as mine whos' left hand chain stay snapped. Mine is still intact.
Same with the chainset I use. Some reports of the left hand crank working loose and falling off. 7500 miles and mine is still there having never come remotely loose.
A few failed examples don't mean the entire production line is tainted.
£75 for a rear rack? Madness IMO.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Aushiker

Post by Aushiker »

thirdcrank wrote:I don't think that frame size is the main factor here because wheelsize is the main factor. Unless your bike has unusually small wheels, the legs on the rack will have to be the standard length to clear the wheel and mudguards.

In my experience racks can and do have different lenght stays. For example and I learnt this the hard way, the Topeak Explorer Tubular Rack w/disc Mounts height is ~ 16". It is claimed to be for 26" to 700C wheels. Now I appreciate this photo is from an recumbent but it illustrates my point.

Note the height of the clearance above the wheel.

Now I suspect the original rack is a Delta rack or of similar elk .... note the height of the clearance above the wheel.

BTW I have switched back to the original rack and the battery is mounted nicely now (sorry no photo as yet).

Delta racks as an example have a height range from 12.5" to 14.5", a two inch difference and actually product a size guide for their racks which is based on the frame size.

Andrew