Using a Marin Lombard CX (cyclocross) as a touring bike?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
johnbarber

Using a Marin Lombard CX (cyclocross) as a touring bike?

Post by johnbarber »

Hello,

I am thinking of buying a second hand Marin Lombard CX (cyclocross bike) tomorrow under the pretence of using it as a touring bike. I don't know a lot about these things and wondered if anyone can advise whether such a bike would be suitable for touring?

Thank you,
With best wishes,
John.
garibeet

Re: Using a Marin Lombard CX (cyclocross) as a touring bike?

Post by garibeet »

Don't see why not, there is a current trend for "gravel race" bikes being used for lightweight touring, which are effectively CX bikes with more touring oriented tyres fitted. Someone is going to come along soon and say that you can't fit a rack or mudguards, which is probably true, however there are alternatives to racks and some of us are happy to forego said mudguards, "mad, bad and dangerous to know" types that we are :lol:
Have a look at Revelate, Porcelain Rocket and Wildcat bags online. The sites will also have lots of set ups like the one you are asking about.
Gari

In fact, here you go: http://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cf ... tegoryid=6
beardy

Post by beardy »

There was a thread some time ago where it was pointed out that there are real cyclocross bikes that dont make good tourers and there are bikes called cyclocross bikes (that no cyclocross racer would ever race with) that make quite good tourers.

The latter would have things like rack and mudguard mounts on the fame.
garibeet

Post by garibeet »

!
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

beardy wrote:There was a thread some time ago where it was pointed out that there are real cyclocross bikes that dont make good tourers and there are bikes called cyclocross bikes (that no cyclocross racer would ever race with) that make quite good tourers.

The latter would have things like rack and mudguard mounts on the fame.

Likewise, I wonder if the whole fashion for calling bikes gravel bikes now is a reaction to the preponderance of pseudo CX bikes...

Waxed tache and toe-tats muttering to himself, "hmmm, so now everybody's got a cross (ahem) bike, so passé, what can I do to be different?"... Ah yes, gravel". :wink:
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Not come across 'gravel' bikes but we sell plenty of all-road' bikes :lol: Kona Jake, Whyte Suffolk, Trek Crossrip, Orange RX9, Tricross etc
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

foxyrider wrote:Not come across 'gravel' bikes but we sell plenty of all-road' bikes :lol: Kona Jake, Whyte Suffolk, Trek Crossrip, Orange RX9, Tricross etc

Note the use of 'cross' and 'X' in most above... All having had CX used in their promotion. If not mistaken, the Jake at least originally, was considered a CX bike (and the only one without X or Cross in the name, bar the Whyte... Suffolk. I can't get over that name. Fancy naming a bike after there!).

If not mistaken, gravel is a development of CX from the dryer parts of USA. Or at least a marketing man's (probably at Salsa, i.e. Warbird promotion) creation.
johnbarber

Post by johnbarber »

Thanks all for your opinions. My main concerns are if there will be heel clearance on the cyclocross bike and whether weight at the back will limit steering control. Does anyone have any experience of this and know a way to judge if this is likely to be a problem before buying? Thanks.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

http://www.marinbikes.com/us/bikes/description/2014-lombard#geometry

I don't know how to tell if this is the right geometry table, but........

73 deg head 45mm fork offset is a racing steering set-up.
I would like to see 450mm chainstays for panniers, to get the weight in front of the wheel spindle.

Oddly, it seems to have rack bosses....http://www.marinbikes.com/us/bikes/description/2014-lombard

There is a world of difference between wilderness touring with a tent and survival gear, and a weekend B&B touring with a credit card and clean underwear.

I can't find a "touring" fit listed on Marin's site, "endurance" fit is the closest I found.....http://www.marinbikes.com/us/bikes/road-bikes/endurance-fit, which seems more relaxed than "pro fit" which includes Lombard.

"Endurance" geometry seems to feature 72 deg 45mm steering, a fair bit calmer than 73 deg/45mm, but paradoxically the chainstays are shorter?

To me, the "Lombard" isn't an obvious choice for a first touring bike, but then I don't know what the OP is riding now, and what his experience is.......I expect there are people who have ridden race bikes for half a lifetime who would disagree with me.

Lower gears would be useful in hilly terrain.
jimmythefish

Post by jimmythefish »

I have used my Marin Lombard 2012 model for touring. It loves it too. Had to persuade the Blackburn front rack to fit, but once installed it remained securely in place. (Over)Loaded it up with front and rear panniers and handlebar bag, excessive amount of kit really, could barely lift it. Pedalled all over Brittany; voie verts/green lanes of varying quality- everything from smooth tarmac to deeply rutted mud/stone, proper roads. Very stable indeed. Ignore the cynics' dismissal of the CX genre, my Lombard seems to eat it all up; it's my general utility bike which I use for commuting, shopping, day rides and touring. Probably done more miles than my van over the same period. Recent models seem to come better spec'ed than my 2012 model, I upgraded the brakes and replaced the drivetrain after wearing it out within 1 year (high mileage including some muddy, gritty trails so not surprising). Enough points and clearance to fit mudguards and front and rear racks, though did have to use clips to modify front rack and front mudguard, but easily done and very secure. As long as your racks and luggage all fit, I'd say that the Lombard is as good if not better for touring than many of the more dedicated models, certainly within the same price bracket.