Has any one cycled in Ireland?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mistybubbles

Has any one cycled in Ireland?

Post by mistybubbles »

Hallo - my husband and I are considering cycling in Ireland on the west coast for our summer holiday in september has any one been there and done this any advice please many thanks
eileithyia

Re: Has any one cycled in Ireland?

Post by eileithyia »

Any part of the west coast in particular? It is all beautiful and highly recommended.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Don't forget to pack your German phrasebook. Because it is common for cyclists touring the west of Ireland to be addressed in German.

Only joking, but you will meet many other cyclists and many more of them will be from continental Europe than from Britain. But I've been cycling in Ireland several times, and just about the whole of the west of Ireland is lovely for cycling.

And don't forget to take a copy of Flann O'Brien's "The Third Policeman" with you to read.
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Great place for cycling! Have done to lengthy trips to South & West, & to North West/North coast.
Mostly stayed in hostels which are pretty good.
If the weather is half decent,sure you will enjoy.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I'm Irish and live in Cork and have done pretty well all the West Coast. It's all pretty good.

The roads are a bit rough in many places, i.e. not as smooth on average, as in the UK, so fatter tyres are better.

West Cork, Kerry, Clare, Galway and esp Connemara, Killary Harbour, Mayo, Co.Donegal all great. Donegal v hilly.
Easiest cycling, Connemara, but some of roads pretty busy. Busy from Galway to Oughterard to Maam Cross. Better after that.
Coast great as well. Roundstone, Cashel etc. Sky Road near Clifen great.

Best ride. From Maam Cross to Leenane, round Killary Harbour through Delphi turn left at Doo Lough Pass to Sheffrey Pass to Westport. Phenomenal.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

I've been in April this year. 500km along the coast of Donegal. This should give you a flavour of riding in Donegal. It's part a 10 day trip cycling. It may surprise you to see blue skies. :-) http://www.farawayvisions.com/wild-atlantic-way-bundoran-to-killybegs/
orangebiker

Post by orangebiker »

Went last year to Galway and did a 4 -day tour. Had a lovely time - quiet roads, beautiful scenery, nice b and b s and friendly locals. Food very good also. We used a route adapted from the Lonely Planet Cycle Ireland book. Has route cards to avoid navigational issues and contains lots of good route ideas.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Yes, very nice, we did a week or ten days on the west coast, from Shannon to. KNock a couple of years ago in September. We went as far as The Isle of Achill. Memorable bits included the peat bogs ( really) and the lovely Irish hospitality and food. Weather was the only compromise, England had a heat wave whilst we were there, but it didn't get to the West coast of Ireland! Ps scenery was a 10/10

Some where there is a link to our photos, https://www.flickr.com/photos/7745330@N ... 542048528/
I was chief photographer on this trip as I'm no mechanic and we stayed at b&bs so no cooking was required and one of my friends likes the map reader role. I always get nagged for holding things up because I dart off for photos but they appreciate it when we get home and have a record of our travels. Well, that's my theory anyway.
Last edited by MrsHJ on 12 Jul 2014, 9:35am, edited 1 time in total.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

MrsHJ wrote:Yes, very nice, we did a week or ten days on the west coast, from Shannon to. KNock a couple of years ago in September. We went as far as The Isle of Achill. Memorable bits included the peat bogs ( really) and the lovely Irish hospitality and food. Weather was the only compromise, England had a heat wave whilst we were there, but it didn't get to the West coast of Ireland! Ps scenery was a 10/10

Some where there's a links to our photos, https://www.flickr.com/photos/7745330@N ... 542048528/
I was chief photographer on this trip as I'm no mechanic and we stayed at b&bs so no cooking was required and one of my friends likes the map reader role. I always get nagged for holding things up because I dart off for photos but they appreciate it when we get home and have a record of our travels. Well, that's my theory anyway.

I looked at the photos. I'm into photography too and live in Ireland and have toured all those areas.
Superb stuff.

You know I've Irish friends with whom I've toured abroad on numerous occasions and they refuse to tour in their own country!
james01

Post by james01 »

MrsHJ wrote:Yes, very nice, we did a week or ten days on the west coast, from Shannon to. KNock a couple of years ago in September. We went as far as The Isle of Achill. Memorable bits included the peat bogs ( really) and the lovely Irish hospitality and food. Weather was the only compromise, England had a heat wave whilst we were there, but it didn't get to the West coast of Ireland! Ps scenery was a 10/10

Some where there's a links to our photos, https://www.flickr.com/photos/7745330@N ... 542048528/

Thanks for these great pics. They brought back memories of a brief west coast tour last year with non-cycling friends in a minibus :oops: . I still remember my pangs of regret at being stuck inside a vehicle while "touring", it's just not the same experience.
Andy Short

Cycling in Ireland?

Post by Andy Short »

I haven't been there for several years, usually took the families bikes in the minibus and cycled locally.
I would, personally, avoid the tourist routes, most notably, the 'Ring of Kerry', but even then there are some nice rides there, like Killorglin to Waterville up the centreline of the peninsula, then around Bolus Head and Valencia, etc..
My favourite is Dingle, west beyond Dingle and also over the Chonair Pass to Brandon. There is also a lovely little pass over the hills to the west of the waterfall on the Chonair Pass to the South west of Brandon (Saints way?) that is slate and mountain bike territory, but OK for half an hours pushing uphill on a tourer over the top part. You won't see another soul between the road on the west side of Ballysiteragh (that the pass is just north of) and Cloghane.

I always found food expensive, especially in restaurants and 'gastro pubs'. Only disappointment was the average small pub to whom a cheese sandwich was a precut slice of cheddar from a pack on white sliced bread (the 'doorstep' with thick cut cheese seemed unheard of). Ham was usually the processed micron thick variety. Take plenty of money....

I have a friend who regularly cycled around west Ireland after season in September (I always went in school hols), his experience was mainly dry. It seems that July and August you take chances with weather.
The people are very friendly and usually say hello as you cycle past.
The terrain is quite hilly for the most part, but with that comes the views.
Enjoy it, you will probably want to go back too.

Andy Short.
Gearoidmuar

Re: Cycling in Ireland?

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Andy Short wrote:I haven't been there for several years, usually took the families bikes in the minibus and cycled locally.
I would, personally, avoid the tourist routes, most notably, the 'Ring of Kerry', but even then there are some nice rides there, like Killorglin to Waterville up the centreline of the peninsula, then around Bolus Head and Valencia, etc..
My favourite is Dingle, west beyond Dingle and also over the Chonair Pass to Brandon. There is also a lovely little pass over the hills to the west of the waterfall on the Chonair Pass to the South west of Brandon (Saints way?) that is slate and mountain bike territory, but OK for half an hours pushing uphill on a tourer over the top part. You won't see another soul between the road on the west side of Ballysiteragh (that the pass is just north of) and Cloghane.

I always found food expensive, especially in restaurants and 'gastro pubs'. Only disappointment was the average small pub to whom a cheese sandwich was a precut slice of cheddar from a pack on white sliced bread (the 'doorstep' with thick cut cheese seemed unheard of). Ham was usually the processed micron thick variety. Take plenty of money....

I have a friend who regularly cycled around west Ireland after season in September (I always went in school hols), his experience was mainly dry. It seems that July and August you take chances with weather.
The people are very friendly and usually say hello as you cycle past.
The terrain is quite hilly for the most part, but with that comes the views.
Enjoy it, you will probably want to go back too.

Andy Short.

The cheap way to eat while bike touring in Ireland now, is Supermarket or Petrol Station delicatessans which will make sandwiches, salads etc for you. Not expensive.
patpalloon

Post by patpalloon »

I'm half way through cycling round Ireland! started in Rosslare, went to Mizen Head. now heading to Westport, Mayo. then Malin Head and to Ballycastle NI to cross to Argyll. It's been great. weather variable, drivers more careful than uk. Lots of bnbs, campsites generally good but not enough of them.
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.