Oxford to Ireland Ferry Route Suggestions?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
billoetjen

Oxford to Ireland Ferry Route Suggestions?

Post by billoetjen »

Hello,

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer me any advice.
I will be visiting from the states for three weeks in July/August. A friend will be putting me up in Oxford.
One of my goals on this trip is to ride from there to one of the ferry ports serving Ireland. As I am on a very limited budget, I hope to use couchsurfing.org to find places to stay overnight. 8)
Can someone please suggest a route for this ride? Ideally, I'd like to avoid both large cities and long stretches of steep grades. I also welcome any suggestions for camping along the way.

It would be an extra huge help if someone could suggest routes for scenic day rides out of Oxford, as well.

Thank you, from an old friend of the CTC,

Bill
Tigerbiten

Re: Oxford to Ireland Ferry Route Suggestions?

Post by Tigerbiten »

As you're not into hills then Wales is out, so that leaves you with a ferry to Liverpool.
Cross the Mersey and cycle down the Wirrel to join the JOGLE route.
Follow that down to just before Worcester and turn left.
Skirt the Cotswolds on the way of Oxford.
That's the flattest way I can think of.

As for camping, look at the Camping and Caravan Club main sites.
They are cheap if your bike packing.
22camels

Post by 22camels »

Oxford-Fishguard will be more rural and scenic than Oxford-Liverpool, but a bit more hilly along the South Wales coast (follow the Celtic Trail http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/rout ... trail-east from the river Severn to Pembrokeshire).
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Sailrail Oxford to Dublin £41. This will save you 3 days of cycling (more cycling time around Oxford and in Ireland) and includes ferry fare. Bike reservations can also be made.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

It's not all hills in North Wales. NCN5 is at sea level most of the way from Chester to Holyhead. There's one big hill in Flintshire, but that can be avoided.
billoetjen

Post by billoetjen »

Hi Folks,

I am thrilled, but not surprised by all the help being offered by everyone!

Great stuff, and will definitely help me set up a much better route than I would have managed.

CTC members are the BEST!

Thanks again, and keep the suggestions coming.

Bill
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Here's a suggestion for a route from Oxford to Birkenhead (where the Irish ferries go from): http://cycle.travel/map/journey/7825

Roughly along the lines Tigerbiten suggested: across the north of the Cotswolds to Worcester, then country lanes through rural Staffordshire and Cheshire. Some really lovely villages on the way, and nothing too hilly except for the mile out of Chipping Campden.

If you have an extra day, you could turn west at Chester, and follow the North Wales coast (NCN route 5) all the way to Holyhead.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Consider joining http://www.warmshowers.org . It's specifically for cycle tourers, similar concept to couchsurfing.
Have fun, especially in Ireland. If you fancy visiting Donegal, let me know as I was there for 12 days in April and might have some information that could be useful to you . It's stunning.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

Just realised that you were also after campsite advice. If you decide to do the North Wales coast from Chester to Holyhead, there are plenty of campsites, particularly on Anglesey. Also opportunities for wild camping. I'd avoid campsites between Chester and Conway as they can be a bit "noisy".
I live right on the route of NCN 5 (national cycle network), so if you want any local help, just ask.