Quick ride out...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Quick ride out...

Post by [XAP]Bob »

At lunch to fetch a couple of wheels from the lbs, and to drop another off for a hub transplant...

5 miles each way.

Along a pretty busy A road - single carriageway. Not a single plonker.
Lorries, cars, bikes. All held back, overtook when safe. Only one of them tried it when I wasn't signalling them to, and that was a lorry doing an excellent job.

Sometimes rides like that just make me smile. :mrgreen:
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
661-Pete

Re: Quick ride out...

Post by 661-Pete »

A lot of my rides are like that. They simply arent newsworthy, or forum-worthy, I suppose (though I have, now, uploaded some incident-free footage on youtube).

I'm curious as to how you carried two wheels to the LBS. Trailer?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

And then you woke up...
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

661-Pete wrote:A lot of my rides are like that. They simply arent newsworthy, or forum-worthy, I suppose (though I have, now, uploaded some incident-free footage on youtube).

I'm curious as to how you carried two wheels to the LBS. Trailer?

Strapped to the rear rack... I'll grab a photo when I go to go home.

Then I'll need to work out two wheels and a pannier ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Si

Post by Si »

I had four plonkers today...but I have to say that their reactions left me feeling not at all annoyed as three out of them, on realising what they did wrong were massively apologetic right away. The fourth was a cyclist riding along the pavement, then crossing the road I was turning into. Despite staring at me while I approached making a big bold signal he just carried on into the road in front of me, and then nearly jumped out of his skin when he realised that I was two yards from him, and heading straight for him. I'd worked out exactly what he was going to do from the get go, and so he was in no danger however he did nearly wet himself! If I had been on my other bike, rather than just going into a track stand I would have done an 'endo' to see if I could get him to pass-out :twisted:
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

When driving and cycling I have found that the amount of silly behaviour is much much greater during rush hours. Sometimes a half day finishing at lunch or a couple of hours overtime into the evening serve to highlight the rubbish behaviour you put up with on a daily basis. On the downside, going back to days after a year on nights was a rude awakening
feefee8

Post by feefee8 »

I find sometimes though that the worst time is when the roads are quiet and vehicle drivers really resent bikes for 'getting in the way' as they expected an easy run and won't wait. Rush hour in Aberdeen means people are resigned to the fate of sitting for a while and unlikely to do anything very bad. There are always exceptions...
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Got my wheels home bungeed to the rear rack like this.
I've had a few rides so stress free and nice that I almost wrote about and shared them with the forum. Those days remind me why I love cycling :)
Attachments
image.jpg
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Can't beat the way we used to carry our racing wheels when riding out to Saturday night digs for Sunday's time trial. (that's someone from the generation before mine!)

I've done the same thing in recent years using 2 spanners that are open each end.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Grandad wrote:Image

Can't beat the way we used to carry our racing wheels when riding out to Saturday night digs for Sunday's time trial. (that's someone from the generation before mine!)

I've done the same thing in recent years using 2 spanners that are open each end.

Aha! So that's what he was talking about!
The owner at Geoff Smith Cycles was telling me about that method of securing spare wheels as we strapped mine to the rack and I wondered how it would look.
The man knows his stuff.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Grandad wrote:Can't beat the way we used to carry our racing wheels when riding out to Saturday night digs for Sunday's time trial. (that's someone from the generation before mine!)

Seeing that picture, I can distinctly remember, as a small child, seeing guys cycling along with a set-up just like that. I used to wonder what it was all about: now you've made it clear!

Love the wing-nuts too! I can remember seeing those on bikes - another echo from the past.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
hercule

Post by hercule »

I suspect the OP was riding a recumbent trike, based on previous postings elsewhere. That's not an unusual experience for me on mine, though I might be a bit slower than on an upright bike it's so much more pleasant in many ways. It's amazing how a change of machine can make such a difference to other road users' attitudes, and it seems very specific to trikes as I don't get quite such a positive response on two wheeled recumbents as three wheeled ones.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

hercule wrote:I suspect the OP was riding a recumbent trike, based on previous postings elsewhere. That's not an unusual experience for me on mine, though I might be a bit slower than on an upright bike it's so much more pleasant in many ways. It's amazing how a change of machine can make such a difference to other road users' attitudes, and it seems very specific to trikes as I don't get quite such a positive response on two wheeled recumbents as three wheeled ones.

This is exactly my experience, too. I get so much more space and time when on my (recumbent) trike than when on my 'bent 2 wheels or on my upright. Indeed, I would almost say that I even get more courtesy, because there have been occasions when drivers have waved me on even when they've had the right of way. So, riding the trike is definitely more relaxed.

There's debate as to why this is, including ideas such as drivers just being surprised by the novelty; that they equate a trike with a disability vehicle; that they feel trikes are significantly wider. I've also wondered if, on a one track lane for example, they are less able to judge the distance from their nearside front wing to the trike as it sits lower in the line of sight.

Whatever the reason I agree with hercule that it seems specific to trikes.
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

661-Pete wrote:
Love the wing-nuts too! I can remember seeing those on bikes - another echo from the past.

I had them on one of my bikes - slower than a modern quick-release but avoided the need to carry tyre levers :)
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Love the wing-nut

slower than a modern quick-release but avoided the need to carry tyre levers

I've never tried using a wing nut to remove a tyre.... :P