Shocking Dawes build quality.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
LondonBikeCommuter

Shocking Dawes build quality.

Post by LondonBikeCommuter »

Heard that a local chain cycle shop had a Dawes Ultra Galaxy in stock and on the shop floor. Decided to pop by and have a look. Was left blown away at the micturate poor quality of what is in essence a £1800 bike.

The Dawes badge on the front had started to peel away as the glue wasn't strong enough to hold it. The duct tape? near the stem holding the bar tape in place had started to unstick itself. On mentioning this to sales bloke he gave me a shrug and a dirty look saying "well its Dawes!" How utterly depressing!

I know very little about bike components but it seemed to me that unless the the frame was worth 70% of the cost the bike then you you were paying wads & wads of money for the Dawes name. I shall no longer lust or want after a Dawes touring bike :(
khain

Re: Shocking Dawes build quality.

Post by khain »

You pay a fair bit for the Reynolds 853 frame. However, the fork and stays are basic chromoly so whether it's worth it is doubtful.

I'd been thinking of buying one of the frames. Glad I didn't.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I could go on about the problems I've had with my own Dawes, but I've moaned about them here so often that's they even bore me now. I still think it's a brill bike, but the bugger has at times tested my patience.
That's probably true of any bike manufacturer but their attitude over a brake issue on some of Spa cycles stock does make me wonder about them and their previous reputation.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I m glad my Dawes 1-Down comes from a differnt era? It has been a good problem free bike. 1999 was still a good year? They were nice people then? I asked them for a pot of touch up paint and they sent me a pot! Nice people. They also send me a pot for the Horizon I had then.
Si

Post by Si »

mercalia wrote:I m glad my Dawes 1-Down comes from a differnt era? It has been a good problem free bike.

Sorry to possibly rain on your parade.....but there have been stories about the rack eyelets coming away on the One Down! Not that I want to make you paranoid or anything :lol: But mine has been OK since I got it a few years back despite having stupidly heavy loads on it.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well I have had no trouble at all in the 14 years I have had it from new. got it from YHA Adventure shops long time ago at 20% off new price of £649. And all the stickers are in attached condition after that time!
Last edited by mercalia on 11 Jun 2014, 12:29am, edited 1 time in total.
horizon

Post by horizon »

It would be interesting to know who does what. AFAIK the bikes are assembled and finished in the UK. So you might be paying for a good frame, a well-thought-out design and of course good quality components. You may be being let down by the bike shop that hasn't quite got the showroom finish and final assembly right. So it's the bike shop.

We never really know who's doing what in a big company. That's why buying from say Thorn or Hewitt is a completely different experience. And you have to compare like with like. How did the Dawes compare with other bikes in the same shop from large firms?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
patpalloon

Post by patpalloon »

I've done two E2Es, C2C, toured round Spain and so far been pleased with my Dawes Super Galaxy bought new in 2012 from Spa Cycles. Going to Ireland and Scotland in July so fingers crossed nothing goes wrong!
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.