Who uses a mirror?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sooper8

Re: Who uses a mirror?

Post by Sooper8 »

I could never see the point and never wanted one.

Then I bought a second hand bike with one on and simply love it and wouldn't be without it.
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

LollyKat wrote:How did you glue it - Araldite?
I removed the spy mirror glass, then roughed the surround (and made it flat) by rubbing it face down on sandpaper paced on a table, then roughed the cateye receiving surface, then used some sort of big brand superglue. In use it is just like the zefal but with the cateye-size mirror. I flip the mirror into the drop when parked. I thought to try a mirrycle mirror in place of the cateye (Mirrycles have best optics, I think) but it's heavier.
photo2.jpg
I can use the mirror when using tops, or hoods (with a slight wrist move). I like this mirror position better than dropbar-end, as I'm still sort of looking forward while viewing the mirror. If I liked dropbar-end, I'd have glued a Mirrycle over a B&M stalkless mirror though, that'd be good too!
photo3.jpg
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Many thanks! (off to hunt in the cupboard.....)
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

No substitute for for the final look over the shoulder but wouldn't be without it. As an active local member group ride leader,it's jolly useful for keeping tabs on the group. I'd be looking over my shoulder every ten seconds otherwise.

Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
cyclingnomad

Post by cyclingnomad »

I bought a mirror for the first time for our big tour. A b&m bar end one. Unfortunately it broke when my bike fell over in Turkey. Cycling without it was much more difficult, having to keep looking around when you heard something coming up behind you.
Fortunately I managed to get one shipped over when we were processing visas in Ankara. 1 week shipping from SJS for £3.50 postage, money well spent. I now have some spares if it happens again.
If you are cycling abroad I think a mirror is essential.
We are currently in Uzbekistan and we see more bikes on the roads than anywhere we have been since Albania. The roads are bad in places but the driving is not bad.
http://www.cycling-nomads.com
redfacedbaldfatman

Post by redfacedbaldfatman »

I use the mirrycle. It took a while to get used to it, as initially I thought it added to my stress levels as I had to keep checking it (i.e. I found blissful ignorance was less stressful).
Now, I wouldn't be without it. It gives me an indication of the speed, size and road positioning of an approaching vehicle and I take action accordingly. A very useful addition to my bars.