Who uses a mirror?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
vinyl_theif

Who uses a mirror?

Post by vinyl_theif »

For safety reasons and peace of mind I've always rode with one.
Initially I had used the Blackburn bar end type, but when cruising along out of town I found it hindered my comfort as was just slightly in the place where my palm rests, on the top corner of my bars. One advantage of this mirror being it can be mounted either side. (It's shown mounted on the R.H side just for the purpose of this forum post photo)
Wanting to remove this comfort annoyance on this years tour I bought an old school (almost moped?) style mirror. Initially a reluctant change as the mirror has a slightly different concave surface so the reflection was slightly different, but have since come to prefer it now it's mounted out the way from my hands. I fitted two additional washers on the top-nut so it wouldn't chew up the plastic bar-clamp, and enables it to be turned inward slightly if required (when going through occasional doors) or even reducing chances of damage if it gets knocked.
I know many prefer riding with a helmet and - although maybe not true in all circumstances - I feel prevention is better than cure. So who else uses a mirror?
mark http://www.wallisonwheels.net England to Singapore
Psamathe

Re: Who uses a mirror?

Post by Psamathe »

I use one. A Image

When I purchased it I thought it would be too small. It is small but works brilliantly. Love it/them (mirrors that is).

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've got one of those.
Brilliant, and I wouldn't be without it.
Mick F. Cornwall
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

I use a mirrycle one. Easy to use and easy to swap sides for trips to France etc. But not suitable for all handlebars.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I used to have Mirrycle Road Mirror, fitted to my STI but it gradually chewed it's way through the top of the lever, so I replaced it with a Cat Eye bar end one, on dropped bars. Useful for keeping an eye on what's going on behind you.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Only use a mirror when I wear a helmet. Never thought the mirror was very good until I discovered there was a protective film over it. Far better once I took it off :)Image
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Monsieur

Post by Monsieur »

I use the same one as the first picture on this thread - forewarned is forearmed, and all that..
Solvitur ambulando
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I suppose the next trick from shimano with electronic wifi gears will be a small rear facing video camera and display to attach to the handle bars?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I use one each side, a elliptical Zefal on the left for traffic (in France, right?) and a small very convex one on the right to make sure no evil wheelsucker is getting so close as to put me (and himself, but he deserves it) in danger. This happened to me on a UAF Audax a few years ago, when a bloke kept trying to creep up in the 18" between my back wheel and the verge and get out of the wind.

Only negative point I find is that when I ride the mirrorless beater I tend to glance into the place the mirror should be and think "OK, nothing behind". Oops.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

City or country I feel vulnerable without a mirror. (More vulnerable, I should say.)

The best solution I've found for dropped bars is the "Ultralite German Mirror by D+D Oberlauda", which you can find from a number of sites on the web. (In North America I think it's sold via Ortleib.) It's light, gives a sharp image, and — the thing I like most about it — is very steady. (Helmet mirrors make me dizzy. :? ) I have one on the traffic side of both my bikes, with a little "Zefal spy" on the curb side when I'm likely to have to deal with multi-lane roads.

It's actually quite handy when I switch from riding in Canada to touring in Britain: I switch the mirrors over and it reminds me on which side of the road I'm supposed to be on and where to watch for traffic. :!:
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Interesting thread.

One of those things that like ponchos I once maybe thought somewhat nerdy but one may be useful on big roads when I'm loaded up.

I'd want something that could be easily clipped on and off - I wouldn't want to use it all the time and would put it on on an as-needed basis.

For a flat bar bike with bar ends.

Can anyone suggest something effective/tough/simple?
Sweep
vinyl_theif

Post by vinyl_theif »

The 'Blackburn' in my first photo, attaches with Velcro straps, L / R mountable, and has a ball/socket joint to position exactly as required, and is a descent sized mirror....I bet once you fit it you'll feel lost without it.
mark http://www.wallisonwheels.net England to Singapore
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

For drop bar bike, I tried the

mirrycle sti mirror (too much vibration)
B&M bar end no-stalk mirror (wrong place, too far too look down)
Zefal spy mirror (poor plastic mirror glass, too small)
Cateye 300g Race mirror (fittings rattled loose, wrong place - bar end - too far too look).

I now use the zefal spy mirror (great fittings) with the lens popped out and the nice big cateye bm300g race mirror (incl plastic shell) glued on top. I sawed off the cateye stalk. It attaches at the drop, prevents using the drops position, no great loss, and tucks into the curve of the drop when parked.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

nmnm wrote:For drop bar bike....

I now use the zefal spy mirror (great fittings) with the lens popped out and the nice big cateye bm300g race mirror (incl plastic shell) glued on top. I sawed off the cateye stalk. It attaches at the drop, prevents using the drops position, no great loss, and tucks into the curve of the drop when parked.

Can you post a picture of this? I'm struggling to find a decent mirror. So far the best has been the B&M bar-end one but as you say it is a bit small. Meanwhile I have a spy and a cateye languishing in the cupboard.... How did you glue it - Araldite?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

LollyKat wrote:So far the best has been the B&M bar-end one but as you say it is a bit small. Meanwhile I have a spy and a cateye languishing in the cupboard.... How did you glue it - Araldite?

If you have only looked at the B&M rather than used one, I thought it looked a bit small in the shop but when out on the bike I find it great - more than big enough. (But maybe you have one already - and different people have different requirements/expectations).

Ian