Best/favourite snacks for on the bike

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
paultheagle

Best/favourite snacks for on the bike

Post by paultheagle »

I'm setting off on a longish tour of the Netherlands in a week or so..

i just wondered what is everybody's preference or experiences with snack food to eat on the bike ?

i have suffered the dreaded bonk a few times on long runs and i have read its a good idea to eat at least once every hour (as well as keep rehydrated, which i am better at).

does anybody have any tips - popular foods ?

(i will probably be using a small top bar bag and usually carry a banana) :)
lisap

Re: Best/favourite snacks for on the bike

Post by lisap »

Almond Snickers all the way :D
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

I think you could get loads of answers about favourite flapjacks or energy bars but I'm just going to say that I find ice-cream a real help if you do feel a bonk coming on and if it's a really hot day which sort of suppresses your appetite. It's got lots of sugar and fat so is energy dense, it slips down easily and of course tastes good! The downside is that you can't carry it in your bar bag but if you're touring then what's the problem with stopping?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I tend to eat quite a lot of fruit. Oranges, bananas, and apples are the most common. I also take sandwiches for longer rides. I like cheese, butter, and some salad and veggies, though sometimes I will carry sliced tomatoes or something separately so as not to make the bread soggy.

I normally carry some powder mix for an energy drink, and a spare banana in case of the bonk. A half litre of energy drink + banana will usually get me to somewhere that I can rest and refuel.

Edited to add: when touring, breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. Don't skimp. Eat as much as you can hold & still ride comfortably. You'll burn it off, anyway.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Mine is wine Gums, jelly babies taste better but I eat them too quick.
NUKe

Post by Vantage »

Jelly babies as they're packed with carbohydrates (emergency food) and I shove 50 carbohydrates worth of glucose powder into the water in my drinks bottles.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

a decent breakfast and lunch stops me bonking, stop for tea and cake as a fill up. :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

Chocolate covered coffee beans are always handy for properly big rides…

Touring is largely an excuse to stop at as many eateries as possible, though, no? :)
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

My emergency, get me out of jail card, is a tin of rice pudding and dried fruit. Only food I really carry. One of the joys of being out and about is the local cuisine for me, so a stop at the first available bakers for the days snacks is an absolute must.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Fleetfut

Post by Fleetfut »

Banana, Flapjacks and a particular favorite is Eccles cakes. Don't know if you can get them in Holland though. :)
Weimarunner

Post by Weimarunner »

Banana malt loaf, sliced and put in a sandwich bag is a must for me, don't bother with the individually wrapped ones, their dry and expensive!

A really great source of quick energy is the Powerbar ride, these have literally got me up hills and home when I'm all out of energy. They taste better than snickers but without the fat content. I find them better than cliff bars for a big smack of energy. Not cheap but great to have in your bag
meic

Post by meic »

My ordinary food, I dont see cycling as a reason for eating an unbalanced diet.

I have been known to buy a Marathon (may have said something else on the label) bar, a couple of times a year when flagging seriously on an Audax.

In my bag I will have a few of the small 50g packets of Nairn Oatcakes (ginger, mixed berries or chocolate).

When stopping at Spa shops I am quite partial to a tin of cold baked beans at the roadside.

I am more inclined to eat sweets at home due to boredom, than out on the bike when I have cycling to distract me. I give away the free sample Gel packs that I sometimes I receive.
Yma o Hyd
coastman

Post by coastman »

Simply pitted dates. Loaded with sugar and energy. Just a couple every fifteen minutes will keep the wolf from the door.
Enjoy!
mjr

Post by mjr »

meic speaks truth. Don't wreck your diet with junk food and think cycling means immunity. Lots of fruit is good, especially DIY trail or tropical mixes. I've been using a mix of oats, fruit, seeds, tahini and agave as an alternative to too many cereal bars recently. So far so good.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

Pork pies.