Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
stu1102

Re: New Route Planner

Post by stu1102 »

I notice that http://cycle.travel/ has a new feature whereby you can view photos of a particular route that you intend to ride

according to a blurb on another forum

' click any part of the route, and click 'View photos'...'

accordingly this produces=

According to the developer of the site (Richard) 'Particularly useful for planning routes along bridleways/cycle paths where you're not sure how good the surface is. Pics are from the ever-wonderful Geograph.'
PH

Post by PH »

Great site, I've been using the route planner to cycle with a less confident friend and find the choices the perfect mix of quite routes without sacrificing to much directness, found it easy to alter it when I don't like the choices. I can see me using it a lot more, thanks alot.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

As well as the new photo feature spotted by Stu (thanks!) I've just reworked the circular route feature, so you can drag them about like other routes, add via points, etc. Doesn't sound like much but it took half the weekend... hey ho. Still, testing a bike route planner is always fun. ("It says go for a ride? I guess I'll have to, then...")
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I've been experimenting with loads of autorouting for cycling and this (cycle.travel) seems the most intelligent I've found for avoiding both off-road trails and main roads. I've experimented by asking for local routes I know well. Most other planners send you on tracks impossible for a road bike, so full marks for the routing algorithm. Pity it only does UK, I want to do a European tour!
Chris F, Cornwall
Richard Fairhurst

I'm looking at adding Europe! The route-planner has fairly hefty hardware requirements: it's currently running on a 32Gb server and that won't be enough to do the whole of Europe. But there might be ways round that. Any particular countries you'd be interested in?
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

that would be brilliant to add Europe...

France
Netherlands
Germany
Switzerland
Denmark
Spain

would be on my list

also I would like to see the ability to use alternative maps for example, OCM, Google Maps as well
MickTheCyclist

Post by MickTheCyclist »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:I'm looking at adding Europe! The route-planner has fairly hefty hardware requirements: it's currently running on a 32Gb server and that won't be enough to do the whole of Europe. But there might be ways round that. Any particular countries you'd be interested in?

Northern Ireland would be useful Richard. It is part of the UK.
Rich369

Post by Rich369 »

Richard - excellent route planner.

As an occasional touring cyclist it would be good to have campsites marked under the 'stay' feature - At present I use http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/ Planned routes from campsite to campsite would then be very simple.
sore thumb

Post by sore thumb »

Now what would be good is a phone app that you could use in real time to plan routes and then follow with GPS on phone.
crossy

Post by crossy »

Can you type in grid references as the start and finish point I'm thinking of doing some of the cycle quest counties
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
Richard Fairhurst

You can type in latitude/longitude pairs but not OSGB grid references at present - can look at adding the latter if it'd be useful though!
crossy

Post by crossy »

OK thanks for the reply good route planner though quick way to find obscure places.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
Weimarunner

Post by Weimarunner »

What a brilliant site! Love the route guide section as well as the planning map. Thanks Richard, appreciate your hard work.
Peter Molog

Post by Peter Molog »

Richard,

Somewhere you wrote that there are also campsites on the map. But a lot are missing.

I looked at the map of my own surroundings in The Netherlands. And there are a lot of campsites.

The difference is the tagging in OSM.
"Campsite" is renderderd in your map, but "Caravan Site" is not.

And I know a lot of 'caravan parks' are accepting tents.

I think there is some work to do for the English OSM-community. :wink:

In the next 4 weeks I will start the work. :D
Newcastle-Shetlands and back.
Peter

Please, excuse my English. I'm Dutch.
Peter Molog

Post by Peter Molog »

Just looked at the OSM-wiki (Should have done it first :cry: )

Tag:tourism=caravan_site

Description: ...They may also have some space for tents. If a site is primarily for tents, it should be tagged as tourism=camp_site

Tag:tourism=camp_site

Description: A campsite or campground is an area, usually divided into a number of pitches, where people can camp overnight using tents or camper vans or caravans.

It seems to be a difference in tagging.

This a photo of a campsite. (see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tourism%3Dcamp_site)

A lot of this sites are tagged in the UK as caravan site.
Peter

Please, excuse my English. I'm Dutch.