Swavesey to Linton

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Andy33gmail

Swavesey to Linton

Post by Andy33gmail »

My circumstances have changed now so that I'm mostly working from home, and I feel I could cope with doing my remaining journeys by bike. It'd be nice to lose the expense of a car, and try biking as a primary mode of transport over the summer

The only thing that worries me ... I have to get to Linton Village college twice a week (working on making that once!)

Is there any way of getting from Swavesey to Linton in a reasonable distance without facing certain death? Swavesey to Cambridge is easy - but the A1307 seems to range from dedicated cycle path to suicide mission. Is there a sensible route?

(Also: don't worry about the fitness side)
sjs

Re: Swavesey to Linton

Post by sjs »

Andy33gmail wrote:My circumstances have changed now so that I'm mostly working from home, and I feel I could cope with doing my remaining journeys by bike. It'd be nice to lose the expense of a car, and try biking as a primary mode of transport over the summer

The only thing that worries me ... I have to get to Linton Village college twice a week (working on making that once!)

Is there any way of getting from Swavesey to Linton in a reasonable distance without facing certain death? Swavesey to Cambridge is easy - but the A1307 seems to range from dedicated cycle path to suicide mission. Is there a sensible route?

(Also: don't worry about the fitness side)

Would it be better than the A1307 to get to Linton from Cambridge via Fulbourn and Balsham? A couple of miles further but looks less busy, as far as one can tell from an OS map.
drossall

Post by drossall »

This is what Camcycle recommend. Looks as though they think you could use the bridleway. I don't have enough local knowledge to comment. You could try their forum?
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

From Cambridge I'd go Cherry Hinton, Fulbourn,Balsham then turn second right as you start to enter Balsham. This will take you into the back of Linton. The road from Fulbourn to Balsham is a long uphill drag. I once commuted from Chesterton to Granta park and the 1307 upto that point wasn't too bad but that was at around 7am. If you come that way then you can pick up the cycle path at Hildersham or come off the 1307 onto back roads at Abington.
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

At some point there will be a cycle path alongside the a1307 as far as Babraham (nearer the A11 junction) then it's just a little bit on the main road and you can turn off into hildersham. Unfortunately I don't know if/when the route will be open and how good it will bg be when it is done
mg2012

Post by mg2012 »

The 1307 isn't great, Fulbourn to Balsham is quite fast as well esp during rush hour (otherwise fine). I'd go out of Cambridge on the NCN from Addenbrooks to Sawston/ Pampisford, use the new cycle path on the A505 when finished (end May I think) which should get you to the back road into Linton via Hildersham. You'd avoid the long slog up to Balsham and a few other little bumps that way and you could also avoid most of Cambridge: get off the CGB at Girton, Huntingdon Rd, Grange Rd, Trumpington Rd or even take some of the lanes west of Cambridge etc.

Or take a different route each time -keeps the commute interesting :-)
mg2012

Post by mg2012 »

There is also the old Roman Road past Wandlebury, off-road all the way to near Linton:
http://opencyclemap.org/?zoom=13&lat=52 ... ayers=B000
drossall

Post by drossall »

Looking at the Camcycle site, there are more things happening. There's a cycle path from Sawston to Babraham (although I guess that many riders would prefer the road), and discussions of routes from there to Abington (from where you could use the minor road north of the A1307 to Linton).

Cyclestreets suggests that a low-quality unsurfaced path has since been provided (note YouTube link on that page). You have to walk over the bridge, which has a significant number of steps and only a wheel channel to help with bikes. Another possibility though!

It's all better than my recent investigation into Mildenhall-Thetford, where there are no alternative roads or bridleways at all, and the Highways Agency have basically admitted that they didn't consider non-motorised traffic when plastering a near motorway all over the existing (if unpleasant) all-traffic road.