Drop handlebars and V-brakes

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
UpWrong

Drop handlebars and V-brakes

Post by UpWrong »

I've converted an old Raleigh hybrid to drops using the Tektro RL520 levers. Also found a long 2-bolt front loading short reach quill stem (also from the now Taiwanese Raleight company) which has got the bars nice and high and close for my poor neck. Photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/7532343@N06/sets/72157644735023274/

That seems to have saved me £1200 on a new galaxy. Weight of the Raleigh with pedals, rack, and mudguards is 13 kg which isn't too bad.

EDIT: forgot to say, braking from the hoods is much more powerful than on the Thorn Audax I have.
PJ520

Re: Drop handlebars and V-brakes

Post by PJ520 »

UpWrong wrote:forgot to say, braking from the hoods is much more powerful than on the Thorn Audax I have.

I can believe that I replaced the original levers on my Trek 520 after 42k miles with RL520s and the braking is much better from the hoods. I also replaced the front SD-5 brake with a SD Ultimate - like night and day. Cost an arm and a leg, mind.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Si

Post by Si »

I put the tektro V levers plus V brakes on my old galaxy - best hood braking I've ever had on a drop bar bike. Alas, just when I'd finally found drop bar braking that I was happy with I had to give up on drop bars :(
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

Friggin horrible shape though, can't get on with mine at all.
Si

Post by Si »

I found mine better than the shimano STIs I had before. horses for courses I guess.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Si wrote:I Alas, just when I'd finally found drop bar braking that I was happy with I had to give up on drop bars :(
Do tell.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Si

Post by Si »

I've no doubt related my sad story before......damage to neck/shoulder means that I can't reach down to the drops any more (unless I set the bars very high - in which case why have drops?) and so now use flat bar with bar ends. I know that you can get shallow drops and drops that go off sideways at an angle - but my neck/shoulder are very particular about bar height and so I stick with flat now.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Perhaps worth considering the Dark Side... While most people assume the prime comfort win on a 'bent is a big comfy chair for the backside I find it's taking all the weight off my arms. On my old drop-bar tourer I really wanted to stop at the end of a 50 miler with sore neck, shoulders, arms and wrists, but on the 'bent the only limit is when my legs can't go around any more.

Plus with no need for elaborate handlebars you can have mighty-serious brakes with no real problems.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Si

Post by Si »

You mean like the one in my shed? :lol: It's great for the neck/shoulder, but it causes other problems with my kidneys.

Yep, falling apart, I am.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

You could always turn them upside down chav-stylee :wink:

Otherwise have your thought of bullhorn tri-bars like these?
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1401010932.975905.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1401010932.975905.jpg (6.43 KiB) Viewed 2292 times
Si

Post by Si »

Yep, you mean like the fixed in my shed? :lol:
Worked OK, but I also wanted a bit shorter reach and TBH the flat bar with L bar end combo hoofered more comfort than the 'bullhorn' solution, plus it was easier to get the bar bag on.