GPX to Garmin transfer

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Garry Booth

GPX to Garmin transfer

Post by Garry Booth »

The website Cycle travel UK has an excellent route planner. It is a bit like Google directions but keeps you off busy roads without going totally around the houses the way some sustrans routes do. It has a button to download the GPX file, which I ve done. But can I put the GPX file into my Etrex 20 or is that too good to be true? Any tips on how to do this much appreciated! G
Cunobelin

Re: GPX to Garmin transfer

Post by Cunobelin »

You could try using Garmin Basecamp, and upload to this.It will then place directly on to the GPS unit
sjs

Re: GPX to Garmin transfer

Post by sjs »

Garry Booth wrote:The website Cycle travel UK has an excellent route planner. It is a bit like Google directions but keeps you off busy roads without going totally around the houses the way some sustrans routes do. It has a button to download the GPX file, which I ve done. But can I put the GPX file into my Etrex 20 or is that too good to be true? Any tips on how to do this much appreciated! G

You certainly can put the gpx in the Etrex. Connect it to your computer. The Etrex's internal storage and its memory card should appear as drives in My Computer (or whatever, depending on type of computer). Just copy and paste the gpx file from wherever you downloaded it to to the folder garmin/gpx in either Etrex or its memory card. Memory card is better because then if anything goes wrong you can just remove it and there's no risk of corrupting the Etrex itself. Depending on what flavour of gpx the file is, it may be either a route or a track, treated differently by the Etrex. You can translate between formats (if you want to) by various means, for instance using the website bikehike.co.uk.