Best lightweight, packable warm layers?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Re: Best lightweight, packable warm layers?

Post by mnichols »

I'm tending towards wear everything that I have and take one "special" layer for an emergency. Leaning towards and ultralight packable down jacket/shirt/gillet plus glove liners unless there are some ultralight, ultrawarm, ultra small gloves that I haven't heard of
whoof

Post by whoof »

The down jacket my partner has is by Uniqlo
RickH

Post by RickH »

I personally would steer away from down - yes it is great for warmth but, in cyclable conditions, you are much more likely to experience cold, damp conditions.

I have an old(ish) Rohan insulated jacket (a predecessor to the Icepack-Jacket which they have in their "Souk" clearance at the mo). Windproof, light & surprisingly warm - I've not yet had to use it up a mountain pass but it does get used sitting around outside on cool evenings & looks reasonably smart for evening wear off the bike. It packs into it own chest pocket & I have pressed it into service as a pillow while camping too. :)

Other makes do similar things - it may be worth going to an outdoors type shop (or browsing websites & see what they have to balance your preferences of cost, weight, warmth & packability. Gilets/vests of similar construction would work too to give core insulation but at the expense of insulation on the arms.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
cnb

Post by cnb »

Rab Generator smock..Nice and lightweight and not really affected that much by the damp..Its not as warm or should i say insulating as a down jacket but probably more practical..
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

whoof wrote:The down jacket my partner has is by Uniqlo

+1 They pack down very small and are a very reasonable price new, even better in sale