Good multi-tool model

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Bike-Rich

Good multi-tool model

Post by Bike-Rich »

Hi all.

Looking for a few useful tool bits as-side from that for strictly bike maintenance,

Things like can opener, scissors and need-nose pliers would be useful.

Thank you,
Furkuk

Re: Good multi-tool model

Post by Furkuk »

It's got to be a Swiss Army knife. I've got two and I've one of them for almost 25 years and it's still in great condition
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Leatherman Wave, or the cheaper Leatherman Wingman.

We were looking at all this for a present for someone from work, who is going on a bit of a travel round South America - we got her the Wingman and bought the Wave for myself :oops:
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

For can opener, scissors and needle-nose pliers, the only real option is a leatherman or one of the many similar tools. However they tend to be a fair bit of weight for things that are "just in case" tools.
Sometimes I take a Leatherman Juice CS4, which is small and fits the bill, but more usually I forego the pliers and just use a Victorinox Climber SAK, which has better can opener and scissors.

One thing to note is that Leatherman-alike tools are usually poor at cutting brake/gear cable. The hinge isn't stiff enough to stop some strands doing a zig-zag between the jaws of the plier, which then jams in the shut position as any attempt to open the jaws just folds the handles. I've tried (or watched the attempt) 3 models of genuine Leatherman, a Gerber Legend, and a couple of cheapo copies, and all have had a similar problem with stranded cable.
grani

Post by grani »

I have a Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Multi-Tool that I have been very happy with (apart from the branding). I have not used it to cut a cable with yet so thank you very much for the word of caution.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

i wouldn't even attempt to cut a cable that i needed in good order whilst on tour - just coil any excess! :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

I've got a Leatherman Wingman and SAK Climber. I take the SAK on walking trips etc. but the Leatherman goes with me on the bike because I keep telling myself the pliers might come in handy one day. But more and more I find myself questioning whether I really need them.

Also, if you go for a Leatherman, I'd suggest going for one of the higher end models and not the Wingman/Sidekick - the build quality is better. What's also worth noting is that the one I have is not designed for a lefty (Which I am).
khain

Post by khain »

Go for a Leatherman. Very well built.

http://www.bestmultitoolforyou.com is a good site for choosing a multitool.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

foxyrider wrote:i wouldn't even attempt to cut a cable that i needed in good order whilst on tour - just coil any excess! :D

Further advice: If you coil the excess, remember to cut it properly when you get home. The weight of a foot of coiled cable bouncing up and down will eventually snap off the cable where it comes out of the clamp bolt (DAMHIKT)
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

I'm not that familiar with leather man multi tools (other than known to be good, Chris Juden now carries one I think after he reviewed one in Cycle the other year). If you want a 1 tool does (almost) everything, check your bike for all allen/bolt sizes/awkward access - different brakes have different sized centring screws (variously 2.4/3/4mm) for example, or if you need 2 sizes of the same tool (eg seat clamp bolts, some chainring bolts have allen keys both sides, and if you have any hard to reach bolts that at home require a cut down allen bolt). My alien multi tool has its own pouch, in which I squeeze a further 4 or so allen keys and a Brookes nose bolt spanner. Bike specific ones will lack in the scissor/knife department.
If you bike is new enough, if may well have torx fittings as well (some Shimano chainring bolts now use these).
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

DaleFTW wrote:I've got a Leatherman Wingman and SAK Climber. I take the SAK on walking trips etc. but the Leatherman goes with me on the bike because I keep telling myself the pliers might come in handy one day. But more and more I find myself questioning whether I really need them.

Also, if you go for a Leatherman, I'd suggest going for one of the higher end models and not the Wingman/Sidekick - the build quality is better. What's also worth noting is that the one I have is not designed for a lefty (Which I am).

Got a Wingman also, and a lefty too, and can't work out why you say it's not suitable. Just fiddling with it, and seems to fit my hand(s) fine. Build quality seems comparable to the 2 Waves I've had in the past also, just less cast bits and more pressed. Only the scissors a bit poo, but the wave ones weren't much better and I prefer the tabs for pulling out the inner tools, to the thumbnail indents (ugh!). Just would prefer the main blades on the Wave than the wingman's single compromise; my remaining wave still gets used in garage for the blades over my plastic stanley thingy.

Don't have any hex or torx on these though.