Accident My Fault ? Two

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

Accident My Fault ? Two

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi, out training today on wide road two way, drop bottle.

I stop promptly at kerb, dismount and park bike at kerb.

Look to see its safe then walk into road and retrieve bottle, turn to go back to kerb and ...........loud crash.........place bottle in rack and look over to otherside of road to see a car ploughed in back of another car :shock:

He did not brake ? Other cars were stationary at time.
Driver is out of car to inspect damage, I mount bike and ride off.........

Was I at fault at all :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Postboxer

Re: Accident My Fault ? Two

Post by Postboxer »

No you weren't assuming the car just travelled along the road and crashed into the back of a stationary vehicle, was there a queue of traffic on the other side of the road?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Lol - happened near me as well a week or so ago.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Just to add, I wish people would be witnesses more often, even straight forward accidents can sometimes be disputed and sometimes boil down to one driver's word against the other's.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Postboxer wrote:No you weren't assuming the car just travelled along the road and crashed into the back of a stationary vehicle, was there a queue of traffic on the other side of the road?

I heard a crash and without looking whilst I was still in the road, assumed a car had collided with another.
When I returned to the pavement, I saw two stationary cars and the third in the back of the second, thats all, not a queue realy.

I just thought that a cyclist on foot in the road trying to pick up bottle (normally hoping that a car doesnt swash it) might have distracted the driver, but they could of been somthing in their car like texting.
Right opposite where I dropped my bottle, just a coincidence probably.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Postboxer wrote:No you weren't assuming the car just travelled along the road and crashed into the back of a stationary vehicle, was there a queue of traffic on the other side of the road?

I heard a crash and without looking whilst I was still in the road, assumed a car had collided with another.
When I returned to the pavement, I saw two stationary cars and the third in the back of the second, thats all, not a queue realy.

I just thought that a cyclist on foot in the road trying to pick up bottle (normally hoping that a car doesnt swash it) might have distracted the driver, but they could of been somthing in their car like texting.
Right opposite where I dropped my bottle, just a coincidence probably.

you stress too much..one person paying no attention to what was going on plows into other road vehicles, that's got absolutely nothing to do with you..it is their interaction with the vehicles on their side of the road, that you were retreiving a bottle doesn't mean the at fault driver wouldn't have slammed into something else along that road because he wasn't paying attention.

As for the children/instructor incident, you weren't at fault but you probably ought to have dismounted and just pushed your bike through (what if a child had poked their wheel out accidentally and then you could have fallen onto the kids). For the extra few seconds it would have taken (& bearing in mind you weren't really in any position to continue your 'training' at that exact moment so not really disrupting you) and would have likely forced the instructor to dismount too the incident would have been avoided.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Your incident reminds me of something that happened to me back in the late '80s. I was riding along a shared-use cycle path. I was the only one on it, and visibility was good. I'd just got to the end of the path where there is a metal barrier which you have to go round before crossing a road, and suddenly there was a financial crash in the City of London. I've always wondered whether that one was my fault.
Dynamite_funk

Post by Dynamite_funk »

Were you wearing lycra when you bent over? If so I would expect you to be...

a) at fault

b) slightly flattered

:lol:
BSRU

Post by BSRU »

The driver was driving without due car and attention.
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

My bottle got spat out the cage the other day and squished by a car... glad its not just me :twisted:

I wasnt brave enough to go back for it though...
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
fluffybunnyuk wrote:My bottle got spat out the cage the other day and squished by a car... glad its not just me :twisted:

I wasnt brave enough to go back for it though...

That's always my first thought that the bottle will be squished, its only a bottle :?
My training ride I do three times a week would realy put the .....*******......**....***....cant say that its sexist, I cross both duel carrage ways on the A38 at Stover using a pedestrian (must be unofficial for sure) narrow path staggered at the central barrier, needs precision timing and I would not suggest any ped or cyclist use it at all, its a short cut fo me, never seen another use it. Dont go there :!:
You learn to spot 80 mph speeders, as they are moving considerably faster than the rest, thats why I use lorrys and vans.
Attachments
2014-05-24_150733_A.jpg