Harwich-Esbjerg ferry to close

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
slowpeddler

Re: Harwich-Esbjerg ferry to close

Post by slowpeddler »

This is sad generally and I have many happy memories of this journey.

BUT they never were cycle friendly.

John
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

bum - i was planning on using that for my North Sea coast trip next year - looks like thats put the kybosh on the whole trip
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

For me too but I agree. We always took the bikes to Esbjerg on the back of the car, which we left parked there because they wanted to charge so much more to take just the bikes. Good memories though including having their fabulous buffet all to myself on one particularly stormy crossing.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

There's still the Immingham-Esbjerg freight ferry, which will take bikes and foot passengers by arrangement.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:There's still the Immingham-Esbjerg freight ferry, which will take bikes and foot passengers by arrangement.

That would work better for me to be honest - any idea where to book etc?

answered my own question look here http://freight.dfdsseaways.com/dfds_fer ... m_ferries/
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
afp401

Post by afp401 »

foxyrider wrote:
Richard Fairhurst wrote:There's still the Immingham-Esbjerg freight ferry, which will take bikes and foot passengers by arrangement.

That would work better for me to be honest - any idea where to book etc?

answered my own question look here http://freight.dfdsseaways.com/dfds_fer ... m_ferries/

That is very very interesting. esp. if it is available on other routes.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Interesting.

How much does it cost on that route for one person and a bike?
Sweep
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Never taken this ferry, always sad to hear of a valuable service disappearing (like the late lamented Bergen Orkney ferry). Esbjerg is a nice place with an excellent hostel. I rode through there going down the Danish coast.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
peterbee

Post by peterbee »

I have used the freight ferries from Immingham. My wife and I went Immingham to Gothenberg with a motorcycle + sidecar for £800 in 2010. So not cheap. That route also calls in at a port whose name escapes me on the south coast of Norway. The ships are wonderful: there isn't a single commercial activity on them apart from a shop which opens for an hour a day. On the boat we went on there was a sign in the shop which said: "Prices may vary according to customer's attitude." Meals are timed for the crew's convenience. Evening meal is 5.30pm so it is a long evening. But they will take you on a tour of the bridge if you get bored.
There is one big drawback. This is that their business is freight and so freight bookings take priority. You pay your money in advance and you get a provisional reservation. If they fill up then you are bumped off and have to wait for the next boat. So you only get confirmation of your booking the day of sailing. If you can live with that I would recommend it as a truly unique travel experience. And of course it now the only way to get to Scandinavia by boat.
I did try to book the Esbjerg route last year but they told me that we would be unlikely to get a reliable booking because we were wanting to go at a busy freight time.
That reminds me that the response you get to your initial inquiry can depend a bit on the member of staff you speak to. Some seem to be keener on the idea of passengers than others do - so if you get a negative response the first time it is worth calling back and trying to speak to someone else. Bizarre but somehow refreshing in these corporate times.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

peterbee wrote:And of course it now the only way to get to Scandinavia by boat.

You can still get to Scandinavia by ferry from Newcastle.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

TonyR wrote:
peterbee wrote:And of course it now the only way to get to Scandinavia by boat.

You can still get to Scandinavia by ferry from Newcastle.

How?
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Ah! Looks like the plans to restart the route last month hit the rocks :sad:

http://www.newsinenglish.no/2014/04/24/ ... scuppered/
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

This is disappointing news as we had hoped to go at the end of the summer - looks like we won't get back if we do. Is there now an opening for the Bike Bus folk to do northern Europe as well as the routes they have through France to the med? For those of us who don't want to fly the Baltic area will now be almost inaccessible by bike unless you want to slog up through Holland from Harwich. I quite simply don't have enough time to do that.
brendography

Post by brendography »

Hi all,

I'm looking to use it in August, around 15th-20th August, one way and I'm looking to split the cabin fare (ooh err) as it's all a bit pricey pricey.

4 people sharing gets it down to around £65PP.

Any interest?