Cycle friendly accomodation in Skipton

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
BobTheCyclist

Cycle friendly accomodation in Skipton

Post by BobTheCyclist »

Hello

Does anyone know of a cycle friendly hotel/B&B in Skipton please?

(and if so, is it close to the Leeds Liverpool canal)

thanks

Bob
awparker

Re: Cycle friendly accomodation in Skipton

Post by awparker »

I have always found Travelodges very helpful when arriving by bike and there is one such on the northern outskirts of Skipton at the A65/A59 roundabout quite near the canal. There are plenty of places to eat in the town and I would particularly recommend Bizzie Lizzy's fish and chip shop where the A6069 crosses the canal

Alan
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

+1 for the Travel Lodge. I stayed there with 3 fellow cyclists a couple of years ago and they were fine about taking bikes into your room.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I stayed in Gargrave in 2011 for a couple of nights. Just along from Skipton.
The Old Swan Inn.
01756 749232

Highly recommended.
Mick F. Cornwall
NickJohn

Post by NickJohn »

As someone who is from Skipton, although one who lives abroad now, I think the Travelodge just north of town is a great idea. 20 minutes walk into town. Bizzie Lizzie's is a very good fish and chip shop, although good kebabs can be had elsewhere (name of establishment escapes me but it's Turkish run, unsurprisingly). There are stacks of good pubs on the High Street, Woolly Sheep, Black Horse, Red Lion to name 3, and one I think will really appeal to cyclists, called the Narrow Boat, which is up a side street off the High Street. Skipton is a great little place and I'd be surprised if a visitor disliked it.

When I visit Skipton next year I think I'll stay in the Travelodge. I'd forgotten it was there so thank for reminding me. One thing, though, you say they allow bicycles in the rooms. Do you think they'd let me take my motorbike in? :lol:
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

This place was friendly enough when I stayed there a few years ago:

http://www.dalesgatelodge.co.uk/

Safe storage and huge breakfast. Nearer to the pubs than Travelodge. Not sure if it changed hands since though.
NickJohn

Post by NickJohn »

Dalesgate Lodge. Forgotten about it. That's the one, folks. And very close to where I was brought up. Secure parking to boot. That's where I'll be going. Good value too. Don't block the car park up with all your bicycles!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Skipton's a great place - found it pretty boring as a kid but you change with age.

I think it recently came top in one of those (admittedly dubious) list things - best place to live in the entire country - in the Times maybe.

Yes some good pubs.

Also a decent Wetherspoons in a fine old building.

Thanks for the tip on Bizzie Lizzie's folks - have often seen crowds of people piling in but never tried it - I'm not from Skipton by the way and don't live there but get there fairly often.

Two good bike shops as well - wandered into one a while ago and found someone behind the counter I knew from the London cycling scene - small world, or maybe everyone just ends up in Skipton eventually :)
Sweep
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Last January I stayed in the Woolly Sheep. They did an excellent B & B. I'd been sent there from Heriots opposite the station because they were fully booked (this is in January mind). They said this was quite normal so you may want to be sure to book ahead. Both these places are handy for the canal. Be aware that the towpath from Skipton to Gargrave is lousy for road bikes.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West