Question: Grand Union Canal London (Southall)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
tb

Question: Grand Union Canal London (Southall)

Post by tb »

Hi all,

I have some work for a few weeks in South Ruislip and cycling home this eve I realised that I had crossed the Grand Union Canal twice, once before Greenford and then again near Hanwell ( basically the Southall bit ) I'm returning due south east to Epsom.

Question is does anyone know if that stretch of the canal tow path is suitable for cycles ?

I wasn't inclined to head of down the tow path only to find that I can't cycle all the way and have to turn around.

I have frequently used the Grand Union Canal tow path on my way to Wembley via Alperton and it's almost enjoyable !

any suggestions gratefully received,

thanks,

Anthony
LondonBikeCommuter

Re: Question: Grand Union Canal London (Southall)

Post by LondonBikeCommuter »

Can't comment on the section your talking about but have found cycling along these paths in London a PITA. People, bad surfaces and various obstacles make the road a far quicker and calmer journey.
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

Agreed.

My other half has just taken a new job which is pretty much directly accessible from us via the canal door to door. Ideal you might think; a traffic-free commute.

She tried it on the bike once - it took her an hour of frustration at ramps, speed bumps, narrow passages, barriers, having to carry her bike up and down steps. The same commute on the roads takes 20 mins.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

The GU towpath surface in London isn't too bad, and these sections are much less busy than the Regent's Canal which is the one most people know.

That said, I wouldn't be entirely sure that the canal is the best choice for your route. The one you're crossing at Greenford is the GU Paddington Arm, while that at Hanwell is the GU Main Line. Going from one to the other by canal you have to head out to Bull's Bridge (Hayes), which isn't necessarily the most direct route.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
PRL

Post by PRL »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:The GU towpath surface in London isn't too bad, and these sections are much less busy than the Regent's Canal which is the one most people know.

That said, I wouldn't be entirely sure that the canal is the best choice for your route. The one you're crossing at Greenford is the GU Paddington Arm, while that at Hanwell is the GU Main Line. Going from one to the other by canal you have to head out to Bull's Bridge (Hayes), which isn't necessarily the most direct route.

Surface "not too bad" depending on how much rain there has been. Thereabouts I took an unexpected dip in the canal after getting stuck in/ released from mud.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

That bit maybe ok but the bit from Greenford into town its slow due to gates, dogs etc