RTA - Insurance details

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
chris_suffolk

RTA - Insurance details

Post by chris_suffolk »

Hi, hoping somebody can advise.

Was knocked of my bike whilst cycling with daughter today. Badly bruised and grazed - will see a Dr tomorrow, but have taken pics of injuries.

Damage to bike and clothing is minimal, but still adds to over £300 (tiagra STI levers the main item). Not sure how or if to claim for injuries sustained

Anyway, my question.

Whilst I have the driver details - name, phone number and car reg number, I don't have his insurance details. Police are coming over tomorrow to get a statement from myself and daughter. Can I ask them for the insurance details of the driver to make a claim against him, or how else can i get his details?

Anybody with advice / experience, help gratefully received

Thanks

Chris
gaz

Re: RTA - Insurance details

Post by gaz »

Sorry to hear your news, hope you make a speedy recovery.

TC's useful thread here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49627
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
gaz

Post by gaz »

BTW assuming the details given are genuine the driver may be valuing the average bike at £50 and expecting to settle directly with you.

He's in for a shock when he discovers it's £300. He might want to involve his insurance company, but he might just argue or try to fob you off.

When he discovers it's £300 + personal injury and you have a legal team assisting your claim he'll want his insurance company to deal with everything.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Thanks for the pointers

Not sure if the police will give me his insurer, or where I find them if they don't

Chris
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I had what sounds like a similar incident eight years ago when I went over the bonnet of a car that pulled out on me. Just cuts and bruises, but with a pretzelled wheel and torn clothing etc. the damage totted up to a few hundred.

I went to the police, but they didn't want to know, so I totted up the damage and put a bill through the drivers letterbox. A month later I had heard nothing, so I went round to the house and found that it was empty after they had done a bunk. I went back to the police, but they weren't a whole lot more enthusiastic. After a wait of about a fortnight they grudgingly gave me his insurance details, and I got my money from them.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

The driver should give you his insurance details. If he doesn't it may indicate that he's not insured. In that case, try contacting the Motor Insurance Bureau. My son successfully claimed from them after he was knocked off. The driver stopped but then drove off without giving details. A witness took the Reg no but the car turned out to be unregistered, so we couldn't trace the driver. We contacted Brtitsh Cyclng (my son is a member) who in turn contacted the MIB who handled the claim and ended up paying out after they'd verified that it was genuine.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think you can get the insurance details from the police, although not necessarily from the officer taking your statement.

Remember though, that your claim is against the other driver, not their insurance company, which may have little enthusiasm for settling on your terms. I'd recommend getting proper legal advice, but if you intend doing this on a DIY basis, send your written claim to the other driver. There is a detailed thread somewhere from forum member stoobs who did a DIY claim all the way to a successful court hearing and he made it sound straightforward "Even a monkey could do it" :D but it's probably not for everybody.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Sorry to hear about your accident and hope you recover quickly. If police do not give details and driver is reluctant then a solicitor will obtain them, remember if you are with CTC you will be entitled to a solicitor to fight your case... Mention of solicitor and/or compensation for injuries or just settling a £300 bill might make encourage the driver to release the details... personally if I was the driver and had the option of settling for £300 or all the long term costs of lost no claims etc etc., I know what I would opt for.... :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Firstly agree with eileithya get the help of the CTC solictor. It will make claiming a lot simpler. IF the police were in attendance they will have and should supply the other drivers insurance details.People always panic about these things but the vast majority are sorted out without fuss. If your only graised and bruised don't expect millions for personal injuries.
NUKe

Post by chris_suffolk »

Thanks for the replies, hopefully police will share details when I see them later today for a statement.

Clearly more than a few bruises, as I can't walk today, and have clearly pulled or strained something in my thigh / leg - appointment with Dr as soon as they open.

Thanks again

Chris
JayGatsby

Post by JayGatsby »

Go here: http://stayinsured.askmid.com/about-askMID.html

For 4 pounds you can run a check if you have the car registration number. I have done it before and the website is reliable and genuine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There are two parts to a civil claim: the first is deciding liability and the second is "How much to settle the matter?" The first may be clear, but contributory negligence can cloud the issue, and a layman is unlikely to have much clue on how to deal with this.

Then, there are differences to be drawn between personal injury and damage, especially to a pedal cycle. If a top-end Team Sky bike were to be written off, and were the rider's Rapha togs to be totally shredded, the compo would probably be less that a personal injury to a lesser mortal involving permanent disability. Damage is also relatively more easy to quantify (eg by looking a a price list) than personal injury, although lawyers do use a form of price list based on precedent.

Various things have led to personal injury claims and even personal injury lawyers being discredited such as ambulance chasers on daytime telly and people making duff claims, but if you suffer through a crash caused by somebody else you are entitled to have things put right, to the extent that £££ can make up for pain and permanent disability. A decent lawyer will sort this out for you and if your claim is too small for them to be able to represent you under the no win, no fee scheme and you have to go unrepresented to the small claims system, then they should be able to give you some pointers. Finally, if you are mistaken about the merits of your claim, a decent lawyer should also disabuse you there.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

so, third party insurers have acceoted liability, and I have a solicitor - so now I guess I just wait for the wheels to grind round.

Thanks for the helpful pointers from all.

Chris