Bicycle storage conundrum

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
simonineaston

Re: Bicycle storage conundrum

Post by simonineaston »

gaz wrote:Could you get to work on a folder?

Got to be the way to go! Might take a change of mind-set, 'specially if you're rather fond of your existing wheels, but there'll be a folder out there for you. :-)
I tried 2 Bromptons before I found one I like, and love the one I've got now (2 Speed S model)... a colleague poo-poo'ed the suggestion of the Brompton and uses a customised Raleigh 20 (cost him peanuts as he found the bike in a neighbour's shed and made it his own by buying bits off of ebay), and then there's the lad I use to see on the train from Didcot, whose yellow Airnimal looked really rather nice - fast and light.
There's a plus side to using a folder and having it in your flat - the security and peace-of-mind.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Even if you get a small car derived van which does run, and you've got it taxed and insured, it's still going to be less than moving house! - and you've then got a van to drive around in!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

A couple of thoughts.

Sounds like the shed is a shared resource for the flats. Relevant word here being "shared". So there is no reason for you to assume that everybody else has priority when getting access to space.

If the flats have limited space then I would think a buggy (what I used to call a "push chair" ?) would be able to fit into a flat somewhat easier than a bike.

I appreciate how challenging "difficult" neighbours can be (I have some at the moment and they do drive you mad).

Depending on the nature of the shed (size, what others are storing, etc.) a few possibilities (that may or may not be practical). Not expensive.
1. What about shelving to move some of the stuff piled on the floor onto the walls. Would probably require landlords permission.
2. What about a few hooks in the roof so the buggy could be hung off the floor (from the roof) (and if the neighbour is not prepared to lift it, you can when it is in your way - but that would be an indication they they are just uncooperative).
3. You can often buy fairly cheap floor standing shelving at DIY places (if wall shelving not allowed or not practical for other stuff being stored there).

If you think the buggy owner might be uncooperative (unpleasant) and any of the above might work (or anything else), don't talk to them but first discuss with all other flats. Discuss how you love living there because everybody else is so <insert appropriate words here> (flatter them) and discuss how you need your bike to get to/from work and have been unable to get it into your flat. Get their agreement for your plans and then talk to buggy owner so you can then say that everybody else is happy with the solution and buggy person would be more likely to be cooperative rather than being the one "objector" (feeling isolated).
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Is there room to put another shed somewhere, or a purpose made bike storage metal one? With the landlord's permission of course.

I would be reluctant to have a go at the buggy owner - I would guess she has as much right to put it in the shed as you have your bike unless there is something written in the flat rental agreement which says the current shed is for bikes only. The needs of her child are also probably going to trump any arguments you can come with for insisting your bike has priority.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

It sounds like the flats are miniscule if there isn't room for a bike or a buggy! Is this what UK housing has come to?
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

I'm assuming that this is a folded buggy which is folded? If it's the former but not the latter you have a solution.
thirdcrank wrote:I understand that you need to move the buggy to get access to your bike, but I can't understand why you can't replace it once your bike is out of the rack. :?

Me neither. Seems like the obvious course of action.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Some people can get very sniffy about their 'stuff' being moved, even if it is replaced afterwards.
Vinko

Post by Vinko »

Hi,

I have been in the same situation and as suggested above, I used a van. However, just check first, as the place I was at specifically excluded the parking of commercial vehicles in the property grounds. I knew this before I moved in, and I had a VW camper van at the time anyway and checked that would be ok – they allowed it as it was not “commercial”. So for me that solved the issue.

The problem, though is then one of security as vans can be easily broken into (especially old VW ones, but shush don’t tell anyone!) – and my camper van was with glass windows so people could see my bike when I forgot to close the curtains. So I bolted (and then had the bolts welded over) a big metal bar from the original load fixing place and made sure the bike was locked inside and to the bar in the van, the van was alarmed and also disabled.

Good thing was I could put bike in there when it was wet/dirty and not have to carry it through the communal areas. Also it meant that panniers and extra bike clothing , spares and tools were all with the bike and to hand.

I think that SORN has changed as of last December - I understand that once you (not a previous owner) has declared SORN then it is now continuous and you dont need to do it again...but its free anyway, so once you have the vehicle there, then you just do a simple SORN application (can be done on-line). Check it out though, wasnt a problem when I did it.

Van became a useful place for other things too though!

Good luck!

Vinks :D
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

Psamathe wrote:If you think the buggy owner might be uncooperative (unpleasant) and any of the above might work (or anything else), don't talk to them but first discuss with all other flats. Discuss how you love living there because everybody else is so <insert appropriate words here> (flatter them) and discuss how you need your bike to get to/from work and have been unable to get it into your flat. Get their agreement for your plans and then talk to buggy owner so you can then say that everybody else is happy with the solution and buggy person would be more likely to be cooperative rather than being the one "objector" (feeling isolated).

The other thing to remember is kids grow out of buggies very quickly so if this particular neighbour is being a pain, their requirement to have and use a buggy will actually pass soon enough. Assuming they are not popping them out once every year.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

ArMoRothair wrote:
Psamathe wrote:If you think the buggy owner might be uncooperative (unpleasant) and any of the above might work (or anything else), don't talk to them but first discuss with all other flats. Discuss how you love living there because everybody else is so <insert appropriate words here> (flatter them) and discuss how you need your bike to get to/from work and have been unable to get it into your flat. Get their agreement for your plans and then talk to buggy owner so you can then say that everybody else is happy with the solution and buggy person would be more likely to be cooperative rather than being the one "objector" (feeling isolated).

The other thing to remember is kids grow out of buggies very quickly so if this particular neighbour is being a pain, their requirement to have and use a buggy will actually pass soon enough. Assuming they are not popping them out once every year.

Actually it is not uncommon these days to see quite old kids still being pushed around in buggies or riding a buggy board while younger sibling has the seat - for some reason these kids are also often a bit chubby. Even if child does grow out of it doesn't mean the buggy will go away more likely just get left in the shed with everyone elses abansonned clutter
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

Elizabethsdad wrote:Actually it is not uncommon these days to see quite old kids still being pushed around in buggies

Don't get me started on this. I stopped using our buggy for our daughter as soon as she could walk. Yes it took longer to get places but it just meant setting out in time. Some times I really have to bite my tongue when I see a strapping big three-year-old being wheeled around.

Massive sweeping generalisation: women are the worst offenders here. My sister-in-law readily admits she still used their buggy well after her kids had outgrown it because she liked it as a large handbag with wheels.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Doesn't it depend on how far you're going? Think my record is about 14 miles throughout the day, I wouldn't expect a 3 year old to walk that far, admittedly they were younger (and lighter!) when I went that far. We still use ours on days out round the zoo or Alton Towers, partly for transporting kids, now 2 and 5, and partly for transporting all our lunch and snacks.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Before we leave the OP to discuss the moral fibre of women with prams, I'll say this.

Living in a small flat isn't ideal for everybody as storage space can be limited. In this case, it seems there's a shed with some sort of bike rack. From what I've read so far, the only problem has been with another resident who leaves a buggy where it obstructs access to the bike rack and has objected when it's been moved out of the way and left on top of other people's stuff stored there.

I'd not argue about the comparative storage problems of bikes and buggies, especially without seeing the size and type of the buggy.

I would say that looking after a small child in these circumstances isn't going to make things any easier and may well make them more difficult. eg a buggy may or may not be easier to carry to a flat than a bike, depending on the size and type of buggy, but doing it while carrying a small child is generally going to be a lot harder.