Cycling in Aberdeen (Video)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
feefee8

Re: Cycling in Aberdeen (Video)

Post by feefee8 »

Erwan E wrote:To be fair I'd probably head out there more often as well if Market St wasn't so horrid to cycle through (not to mention the bumpy Victoria Bridge) :wink: You should definitely try it next time we've got good weather though - I had to be pretty patient with that myself :P

Ah yeah, Market St. I HATE THAT ROAD! Getting into the main car park at Union Sq on a bike from Market St is a joke (I can't be the only person who thinks this) and the College St way with the cobbles and dead seagulls isn't exactly ideal.

I'd be tempted to detour to the other bridge just to avoid Market Street!
Yowsah

Post by Yowsah »

Thanks for posting this youtube. I have only just got back to pedalling after a break of too many years and an injured knee. I moved to Aberdeen six months ago and ventured out along part of the Deeside Way for the first time last week. Your video has inspired me to get out to explore the city and the shire (hills allowing!). The first part of the video looked familiar to me, is it anywhere near Rosehill Drive where I stay? Also, be careful with security as I had two mountain bikes stolen out of my locked garage recently. Fortunately, the thieves weren't interested in my tourer. So if you see a fat old guy out and about on a Surly Long Haul Trucker (possibly pushing up a hill) give me a wave! :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Enjoyed the video. Thanks.
Aberdeen is FLAT :shock: Where are the hills that make cycling enjoyable?
Where are the potholes? We have hundreds - if not thousands - here and they make cycling rather entertaining. :lol:

I didn't enjoy the music. I had to turn the speakers off, but that's just me not liking that style. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

Aberdeen is certainly not flat and the surrounding countryside of Aberdeenshire is most definitely not flat. Check out the Snow Roads Audax route. Defo not flat!

http://www.mapmyride.com/gb/kirriemuir- ... ute-970907
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good. Just as I expected! :D

The vid made me smile, because it was all shown as flat.
I've visited Aberdeen many times - we had a friend who lived there, and we had friends in Peterhead too.
Mick F. Cornwall
feefee8

Post by feefee8 »

There are many and various potholes in Aberdeen. At one point, Ellon Road, the main road north to the mecca which is Peterhead, had barely a surface on it. One day, in the 2020s, there might be a bypass to take the heavy traffic away from the city roads. We'll see....

If you're cunning, Aberdeen is a bit lumpy. Getting to the top of the three biggest hills can be interesting if the wind's against (and it can be, most of the time, with that pesky north sea breeze). I'm lucky that my commute is pretty flat, although dangerous due to the crazy car culture here which is fuelled by oil richness. Car is definitely king. There was a piece on the radio today saying that Aberdeen has a fairly high 4x4 count per head. 95% of those vehicles will never go off road. About 80% of those drivers appear to treat lane markings approximately. I'll be honest though; the suspension might come in handy on the worst potholed AND speedhumped roads as they never seem to bother resurfacing them here.
Erwan E

Post by Erwan E »

Yowsah wrote:Thanks for posting this youtube. I have only just got back to pedalling after a break of too many years and an injured knee. I moved to Aberdeen six months ago and ventured out along part of the Deeside Way for the first time last week. Your video has inspired me to get out to explore the city and the shire (hills allowing!). The first part of the video looked familiar to me, is it anywhere near Rosehill Drive where I stay? Also, be careful with security as I had two mountain bikes stolen out of my locked garage recently. Fortunately, the thieves weren't interested in my tourer. So if you see a fat old guy out and about on a Surly Long Haul Trucker (possibly pushing up a hill) give me a wave! :lol:

Well done on getting back on the bike! The Deeside Way is an excellent start - that's usually the first place I bring someone who's new to cycling. Yes, it's just off Westburn Drive actually! :) Sorry to hear about your bikes. I've heard too many stories to even trust our shed, so I tend to keep mine indoors.

You wouldn't happen to wear a bright hi-vis beanie when you're out on the bike would you?? If so I may have seen you a couple of times :D

Mick F wrote:Enjoyed the video. Thanks.
Aberdeen is FLAT :shock: Where are the hills that make cycling enjoyable?
Where are the potholes? We have hundreds - if not thousands - here and they make cycling rather entertaining. :lol:

I didn't enjoy the music. I had to turn the speakers off, but that's just me not liking that style. :oops:

Fair enough, glad you found a way to enjoy it anyhow :D

I've always been under the impression that it is indeed quite hilly here... I just have rather selective routing tendencies :oops:

feefee8 wrote:
Erwan E wrote:To be fair I'd probably head out there more often as well if Market St wasn't so horrid to cycle through (not to mention the bumpy Victoria Bridge) :wink: You should definitely try it next time we've got good weather though - I had to be pretty patient with that myself :P

Ah yeah, Market St. I HATE THAT ROAD! Getting into the main car park at Union Sq on a bike from Market St is a joke (I can't be the only person who thinks this) and the College St way with the cobbles and dead seagulls isn't exactly ideal.

My thoughts exactly... if I ever do have to get to Union Square I tend to park my bike on Union Street and just walk the rest of the way!
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

feefee8 wrote:There are many and various potholes in Aberdeen. At one point, Ellon Road, the main road north to the mecca which is Peterhead

The Mecca I'd face away from and pray never have to make the pilgrimage to.

Aberdeen has a fairly high 4x4 count per head.

Quite an understatement! I think it's probably got the most Porsche Cayennes anywhere.

And Imprezas, and Mitsubishi Evos, and Range Rovers, and BMW Xs and Audi Qs. :x

...But they're all permanently installed on the airport road/Mugiemoss/Haudigan Roundabout! :lol:

This made me laugh- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-n ... d-26151941

Apparently, this work is 'going to'(!!!) cause delays. Could it be any worse?
feefee8

Post by feefee8 »

On the bright side, bikes can still get past Mugiemoss Road :D :D :D if you don't mind a teency bit of gravel and ups/downs on the pavement.

Glad I don't work in Dyce anymore! Definitely the longest 7 mile commute, especially when a snowflake landed...... :shock:
Yowsah

Post by Yowsah »

Thanks for your kind comments Erwan. It's not me with the hi-vis beanie. I never go out without the old helmet to protect my brains!