Daily Punishment Passes & Close Overtakes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Si

Re: Daily Punishment Passes & Close Overtakes

Post by Si »

foxyrider wrote:I keep meaning to look out the 'passing' lollipop thing i bought on a lark many years ago. :(

Tried one once - just seemed to give them something to aim at!
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Interesting thread. Was just thinking of making something the same myself - buying a lollipop and incorporating some razor wire or stainless steel off cuts into the construction. Could be leaving myself open to causing damage though. All started like earlier poster, when, the other day, I was passed so close that I was able to thump on the car roof with my fist.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Some interesting replies. The only thing is I was referring to cyclists when I am walking on footways and the worst place for pedestrians. A shared use path.

Nice to know that punching close over takers is sort of encouraged. :)

Now where is the Razor Wire to put on the umbrella. :wink: :roll:
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Edwards wrote:Some interesting replies. The only thing is I was referring to cyclists when I am walking on footways and the worst place for pedestrians. A shared use path.

Ah, well, that wasn't clear in your original post. It explains your reference to carrying a hand scythe - I thought you had attached it to your bike like Boadicea. :lol: :lol:
Dafydd17

Post by Dafydd17 »

Fascinating thread! I, like the other posters, loathe being overtaken too closely by cars. Why then do so many cyclists find it acceptable to do so to pedestrians? In some respects it's even more frightening, in that a pedestrian has no warning of a cyclist approaching from behind - at least you can hear a motor vehicle!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Dafydd17 wrote:Fascinating thread! I, like the other posters, loathe being overtaken too closely by cars. Why then do so many cyclists find it acceptable to do so to pedestrians? In some respects it's even more frightening, in that a pedestrian has no warning of a cyclist approaching from behind - at least you can hear a motor vehicle!

Because in this country the mindset is to kick down. Idiots are idiots regardless of their chosen mode of transport.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

LollyKat wrote:
Edwards wrote:Some interesting replies. The only thing is I was referring to cyclists when I am walking on footways and the worst place for pedestrians. A shared use path.

Ah, well, that wasn't clear in your original post. It explains your reference to carrying a hand scythe - I thought you had attached it to your bike like Boadicea. :lol: :lol:

Deliberately not so, but I would have thought the spade or ladder would have been a good clue. I think Si might have twigged.
Except when I asked my best friend if he thought I was stupid enough to carry either on a bike.
He replied "Yes". :lol: :oops: :?

Seriously if this thread had started clearly about cyclists overtaking pedestrians then I think that the responses would have been totally different.

But it is a really big problem as nearly all pedestrians are drivers, so they might do to cyclists when driving as cyclists do to them when they are walking.
After all why should they care more for you than you do for them?
Keith Edwards
mjr

Post by mjr »

I do care for them and pass as wide as I can, but often I'm stuck in a 2ish metre lane with them kerbs meaning there's no easy way to change lanes, so I can either ring my bell to warn them I'm approaching (which often makes them jump out of the way) or sit behind them (which often makes them jump out of the way once they notice me). So now I usually ring... and campaign to have space for cycling taken from cars not walkers.

Oh and you can't all ways hear electric cars approach and there are more about now.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I get loads of space with childback tandem and trailer. I get nearly as much space with a standard bike and trailer. A little bit less, but still not too close with child seat on either tandem or standard bike.

When I'm on my own on a solo bike, I mostly get enough space. I get less in winter when there are fewer bikes (and maybe my sex isn't so obvious). But by far the worst passes I've had have occurred when I wasn't using a horrible, but visible facility, like a 1' wide cycle lane.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I didn't want to start a new one on this topic.

I've noticed that cars would pass me far too closely, but then, when they have to overtake a stationary bus, they give that bus plenty of space. If I were a stationary bollard, I'd get more space than a moving cyclist. Same goes for parked cars.

Now I'm not getting that hot under my collar, but it's still a curious thing to witness. Depending on where I'm cycling, I'm either cycling more of less a meter from the kerb or take the lane, I definitely leave ample space when passing parked cars now since a 'nearly getting doored' incident reminded me that I'm cycling in the danger zone.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
-- Confucius

http://theviscountaffect.blogspot.co.uk/
mjr

Post by mjr »

mjr wrote:Now that you mention it, I probably should move my badly looped cable lock to hanging off the right side of my pannier rack. I'll let you know if it seems to help.

I put a piece of bright blue electrical tape around the piece of the cable lock furthest out from the bike and it seems to have helped.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

StellaLdn. wrote:Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I didn't want to start a new one on this topic.

I've noticed that cars would pass me far too closely, but then, when they have to overtake a stationary bus, they give that bus plenty of space. If I were a stationary bollard, I'd get more space than a moving cyclist. Same goes for parked cars.

Now I'm not getting that hot under my collar, but it's still a curious thing to witness. Depending on where I'm cycling, I'm either cycling more of less a meter from the kerb or take the lane, I definitely leave ample space when passing parked cars now since a 'nearly getting doored' incident reminded me that I'm cycling in the danger zone.

This was part of my thinking when starting this. We as cyclists know that these things are like when we use the road but we (I am included) then sometimes forget and do not show the consideration we expect to others. Treating them in the same way that we are.

Since starting this thread I have become even more conscious of walkers when using cycle tracks and at the moment here in Wales there has been no incidents for a week.
Keith Edwards
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

It would do us all good to treat others as we would have them treat us.
That said,even when treating pedestrians with respect on shared use paths ie;slowing to walking pace,announcing my presence with a 'hello,could I just squeeze past you there' and a 'thank you' as I pass by there are a small minority who treat me as if I'd just ridden through their living room.
I've also had the other end of the stick whilst stopped on the bike as a cyclist whizzed past without a word and very silently,it's given me quite a fright on a couple of occasions.
As for close overtakes by motorists whilst cycling,I've had a fair few 'encounters' and slapped a few cars when I've felt threatened enough to warrant it.
My conclusions are that I live in a land of 'man mind thyself',where for some,being antisocial(for that's what it is IMO)is either not recognised as such by the perpetrator(s) or is worn as a badge of honour in some sort of oneupmanship game played out at other peoples expense.
Either way the result's the same and leads to tension,for both parties,which isn't healthy.
It's worth remembering that it is a minority 'sport' by the uncaring element of our sickly society.

My 2d worth.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:That said,even when treating pedestrians with respect on shared use paths ie;slowing to walking pace,announcing my presence with a 'hello,could I just squeeze past you there' and a 'thank you' as I pass by there are a small minority who treat me as if I'd just ridden through their living room.

I think I agree with you about the general course of action (if in doubt, slow down), but I do not regard the above as respectful in most situations. If someone is walking over to one side and either seems to have seen me or is far enough over on a wide enough path that even if they fall, we're unlikely to collide, then slowing to walking pace is disrespectful because it probably makes the other person feel that they were an obstruction despite trying not to be - it's suggesting that their actions were not good enough. I would not want that done to me when I walk along the shared use (our only non-road route to the next village and the nearest shop and post office), keeping to one side and looking back periodically.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:That said,even when treating pedestrians with respect on shared use paths ie;slowing to walking pace,announcing my presence with a 'hello,could I just squeeze past you there' and a 'thank you' as I pass by there are a small minority who treat me as if I'd just ridden through their living room.

I think I agree with you about the general course of action (if in doubt, slow down), but I do not regard the above as respectful in most situations. If someone is walking over to one side and either seems to have seen me or is far enough over on a wide enough path that even if they fall, we're unlikely to collide, then slowing to walking pace is disrespectful because it probably makes the other person feel that they were an obstruction despite trying not to be - it's suggesting that their actions were not good enough. I would not want that done to me when I walk along the shared use (our only non-road route to the next village and the nearest shop and post office), keeping to one side and looking back periodically.

Perhaps there's a misunderstanding,I was meaning when the path is either resticted or blocked by one or more pedestrians and or dogs,on a lead(sometimes stretchy) or not,when there's enough room to pass I'll normally slow down and announce my overtake.
I find the vast majority of shared path users to be friendly and cheerful and usually thank me for my consideration,the same can be said for motorists on the road,however there are the small minority.
BTW in town I absolutely refuse to move aside for pavement cyclists and will deliberately block their path.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden